Gasoline prices Skyrocketing!

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I don't even have a working lawn mower, missing all the fun...

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
Wonder if the ITC terminal fire in Houston will have an effect, the naptha and a couple other gasoline components tanks were lost. Maybe some of the refineries are in the process of converting from heating oil to gasoline and of course the cost of crude is up.

orange

Tagline
I still want another Duster, only this time a 340.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
Looked at gas buddy or whatever last week and saw the costco at 2.35, darn was 2.25 a week or so earlier but I was waiting for their sale, having a few things I needed. Since I put off going until this week, I looked again, 2.45, nbd, I'm not going until mid-week. Checked yesterday, thinking I would go today and saw they were at 2.65. I went last night, got gas in DE for 2.43 and then hit Costco on the way home for the shopping. Checked today, down to 2.59, I guess they wanted to be a few pennies below the other nearby PA stations.

Report on the news was higher prices were from
refinery turnarounds to new product mix which usually has some maintenance, best time really since heating oil is dropping in demand and gasoline isn't at summer driving season highs
OPEC holding to lower output keeping crude prices up
Venezula unrest and fluctuations in their ability to supply
Switch to the lower volatility fuels where required or used, less evaporation in the hotter months.

and of course the reasons other add to this.

orange

Tagline
That's about the size of it.

And there is a refinery fire about every other year somewhere in the country, think the last big one IIRC was a Tesoro? plant.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Feel for anyone putting a lot of miles on their vehicles with the big jump in gas prices over the last 2 months, all over the country.

I started to feel bad myself until I checked prices back in Cali - where I lived.

All grades over $4 a gallon.

1555025441007.png

Felt better instantly ...

BlazeES

Tagline
---
If you start playing the vid and then jump to near the end ... my home town gets an honorable mention.
https://video.foxbusiness.com/v/6025180134001/

Fox Biz is Fake News. Varney never shows Arkansas when they do their Gasbuddy price check stories, showing the lowest and highest prices in the country...

and when they do, they report a bogus price. Mapco isn't $2.16

Last edited:

BlazeES

Tagline
---
5.49???? Doesnt Cali have anti-gouging laws?
I think there have been threats from Sacramento, like after the fires - but formally? - I don't think they have any.
And Furnace Creek is out-in-the-sticks. Like Death Valley no-wheres-ville...

orange

Tagline
It's just under $2.80 here, no checking needed, that's what I see on my bikes.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
A local gas station + convenience store put in new pumps some weeks ago. The other day, I was gassing up with one of the new pumps, and noticed this: on the cost readout, there are FOUR digits to the left of the decimal place!

Talk about future-proofing...

orange

Tagline
I was downtown yesterday and the price was falling UP to $2.99 for regular unleaded. How'm I supposed to build that 1950s Plymouth Savoy or a Duster hybrid, dammit?

orange

Tagline
Gasbuddy seem to be falling apart around here. They've got stations in my old hometown that are either impossible or haven't been open for a few years maybe. One of them was my dad's...