Fusible resistor

62vauxhall

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
I encountered some resistors referred to as "fusible". I understand the purpose but am wondering if they are unique in construction or a garden variety resistor which functions as a fuse. The parts list identifies them with an "Attention" symbol but the descriptions are just resistance values, wattage and in this case 5% carbon. Am I correct in assuming there is nothing special about them?

62vauxhall

Tagline
Thanks. At least I know now there are such things. It's somewhat confounding, according to the attachment you provided, that other than being green or sky blue in color, there are no distinguishing external characteristics. I have blue resistors of the right value and wattage that I was planning to use and thought that meant they were high temperature metal film - exactly what was called for. I have seen a few green resistors before but I believe those were wire wound's.

So it sounds like I must now obtain resistors actually designated fusible?

NavLinear

A fusible resistor is designed to work as a resistor in addition to acting as fusible link. This type of resistor is fire resistant where most other resistor types are not. If you use a "normal" resistor in place of the fusible one you could get more smoke than you'd want if it fused.

62vauxhall

Tagline
Now that you mention it. I was told once when buying resistors that blue meant fire resistant. But I was also told elsewhere that it meant metal film. My thinking might be a bit wonky but having a resistor smoke seems like a good thing in that it would sure be a strong indicator that something was wrong.

Last edited:

NavLinear

Now that you mention it. I was told once when buying resistors that blue meant fire resistant. But I was also told elsewhere that it meant metal film. My thinking might be a bit wonky but having a resistor smoke seems like a good thing in that it would sure be a strong indicator that something was wrong.
It really is a safety issue. Here is a link to the Vishay website for Fusible, Non-Flammable Metal Film Leaded Resistors:

http://www.vishay.com/ppg?28737

Last edited: