Further upgrading my first built WOPL, a 400 S1 8 fin, with a few goodies.

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
Today, if time permits, I'll be upgrading to a 700 style terminal strip, step washers on the transformer bolts, and upgrading the B+ and B- wiring from under the buss bar to across the storage caps. Note the Phoenix Contact Connectors on the backplanes and control board, a full complement. I've had this amp tore down twice before(burned bias wire, install IEC socket). I love those connectors.

Attachments

George S.

Photos for Gene. Note the white haze on the boards here and there. That's what Sniff was talking about. Later I will pull the control board and show more. I used 70% and a tooth brush cleaning these boards. On the 700, I used 99% and a acid brush. Sniff has a even better concoction with the acetone mix.

Attachments

gene french

guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
this is my first experience with the phoenix connectors....they sure solve a lot of problems and stops a lot of butchering...great for diyers...
keep and eye on me george when my stuff gets here...
i dont every want to hear i told you so again...
i think i will build the driver board first...
while building...i will get the 400 running on the old chips/driver board...
i found the problem...even joe agreed...q8 being open would put b- on the output...
i have replace it...and waiting for your boards to rob the q5...mine shows a little leakage...
which would explain the runaway q8 and blown speakers...
i gotta go to a mechanic around here and get some more old speakers to test with...
people may have dirt floors...but they all have a stereo in their cars...lol
priorities....simply priorities...
lol
thanks....so much

gene french

Tagline
Dirt floors are easiest to keep clean.
a neighbor that helps us out at times....actually lives on dirt floors...we help him...when building projects...ie tilapia ponds....chicken pens, etc
we always mixed up extra and took it to him...and gave him the left over sacks complete with gravel....he got sand from the river...until he now has mostly cement floors....they do not consider themselves poor....another neighbor had an injured cow....and had to be put down...he asked for my .38 and jerry to come help clean it....off we go...and returned with 2 ice chests full of beef....we got us a couple of kilos for the freezer and gave the rest to leo, dirt floor man....can you believe....he gave the meat away to the poor people .... i swear that is what he said....lol
almost every month we pay his electric bill....i have matured so much living here....and no longer find any reason to complain....after you look around and see people with legitimate reasons to complain....i am so blessed...sometimes i could literally cry....
but, dont tell sniff....he will make fun of me....call me a baby, etc...
lol
thanks guys

Vynuladikt

Journeyman
Tagline
Love great audio, beermaking and pyrotechnics
no longer find any reason to complain....after you look around and see people with legitimate reasons to complain....i am so blessed...sometimes i could literally cry....
My wife and I participated in a mission trip to Guatemala several years ago, assisting with the yearly startup of a school for disabled children.
We saw things that definitely made me feel that way.

gene french

Tagline
one thing i can tell you....a lot of the "poor" people at home have a large body mass index...
the poor over here....look like a zipper if they turn sideways and stick out their tongue...
costa rica has won the happiest place on earth several times running since i have been here...
and are always in the top 5 for places to the expats to retire....
it definitely has its challenges....but, it is so beautiful and peaceful with very nice people...
you always pick up walkers....very few are walking for exercise...they never forget you for the little things that you do...
as you can attest ....
if you are in the bigger cities....forget what you just read...they can be nasty there...
i live out in the country with gods children...lol

Vynuladikt

Journeyman
Tagline
Love great audio, beermaking and pyrotechnics
one thing i can tell you....a lot of the "poor" people at home have a large body mass index...
the poor over here....look like a zipper if they turn sideways and stick out their tongue...
costa rica has won the happiest place on earth several times running since i have been here...
and are always in the top 5 for places to the expats to retire....
it definitely has its challenges....but, it is so beautiful and peaceful with very nice people...
you always pick up walkers....very few are walking for exercise...they never forget you for the little things that you do...
as you can attest ....
if you are in the bigger cities....forget what you just read...they can be nasty there...
i live out in the country with gods children...lol
My son visited CR as a trip abroad while attending Iowa State University for Agriculture. He loved the farm areas, agreed the cities were not for him.

George S.

So this is "Linda". Linda's original builds seem to out number all other PL builders. Plenty of white haze that would not clean off with 70% and a toothbrush.
I just got a quart of acetone and am going to use Sniffs Concoction with a acid brush, after I pull the transformer. Think I'll take it outside for cleaning.

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
So this is "Linda". Linda's original builds seem to out number all other PL builders. Plenty of white haze that would not clean off with 70% and a toothbrush.
I just got a quart of acetone and am going to use Sniffs Concoction with a acid brush, after I pull the transformer. Think I'll take it outside for cleaning.

George, remember , keep the acetone away from the electrolytic caps. I cleann the back of the board with acetone, and the front of the board with acetone after the resistors and diodes. Then alcohol after cap install. I still haven't got any No-Clean solder yet so it gets a little tough...

George S.

George, remember , keep the acetone away from the electrolytic caps. I cleann the back of the board with acetone, and the front of the board with acetone after the resistors and diodes. Then alcohol after cap install. I still haven't got any No-Clean solder yet so it gets a little tough...
Thanks Lee will do. Time to walk the dog. Might get this finished this evening or not. No hurry, never rush this stuff.

George S.

Gene, I sent you two of the terminal strips. Only issue with mounting the strip on a S1 8 fin or S2 is that metal plate needs modified to pass the wiring or the old cap retainer used. I think it's worth the effort. No big problem.