From Ron (Northwinds): Another Scarce Component To Call My Own

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Hi all,

Thanks go out to Ron and Doug in my latest transaction. I met with Doug yesterday afternoon at Innovative Audio. He was kind enough to pick up my latest cassette deck acquisition from Ron. Ron had put a call-out to members who might be interested in a bunch of components he was selling. I jumped on one of the items: an a/d/s C2/3 for a very reasonable price. Ron did a remarkable job packing it and it arrived unscathed. Doug was surprised how heavy the package was and this particular model of cassette deck is not a flyweight weighing in at over 19.5 lbs.. Last night after unpacking it, I set it up in the downstairs bedroom where I usually like to test equipment. I turned it on and left it powered up without playing a cassette for about an hour. Then I demagnetized the tape head and cleaned the tape path thoroughly with 99% IPA. I played a tape and all the functions are working, properly. There are some very neat features on this deck and it's fairly rare to hear of other forum members who have experience with this model of deck.

Today, I patched it into my main system and I was trying to decide which mix tape to play. I used Miles' "Around The World in 90 Minutes" for the big demo.

Click on image to play video:

Very nice! I will try recording later on with the a/d/s, but I am committed to having Innovative Audio do a testing and calibration of the deck much like I had done with the Sony TC-K950ES.

Thanks very much Ron for such a sweet deck and thanks Doug for delivering it to me.

Nando.

Miracle Mile

Veteran and General Yakker
Great to see and hear you've used my tape for testing this futuristic deck!

I'll bet is was fun......

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Glad it got to you safely, thanks Doug for the help! It's a very cool deck indeed Nando and your right, ridiculously heavy for the height. Feels more like a small Class A power amp then a cassette deck. I wonder what's inside it that gives it so much weight? Cripe, your lucky if that is 3" tall. I like the drop down cable guard on the back also, did you get it on alright?

I am happy it has a good home, at least I can say I had something worthy of a place in your phenomenal collection!!!

Elite-ist

Staff member
Miles: It was the appropriate mix tape to play on this deck. And no issues with Dolby C compatibility - that's another big plus. I might have to crack open a cold one later this evening to enjoy your mix tape again.

Ron: You did the right thing by packing the back flip-down cable panel, separately. No problem figuring it out.

Once I get an operating manual for it I will learn more about it. But my passion is recording, so that's going to be interesting to hear how well it does after a tune-up. It looks like it belongs with my system.

Nando.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Oh man, that SA-X sounds so good. I would love to stumble on a few SA-X 90s still sealed. They are by far my favorite tape bar none. If I could get some, that would get me into the recording bug again. I still want a CT-F1250 for my system though, I am not backing off from that choice. Just replaced the Onkyo EQ with a nice RS 31-2000A that I scored up the street when I got that Akai AA-R21 receiver a few weeks ago. That Akai is a pretty nice sounding receiver with a very sensitive FM tuning section. It sort of kicks the snot out of the Pioneer SX-626 and the Tandberg 3030 for similar wattage receivers

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Staff member
Ron: I am a big fan of the TDK SA-X cassettes. Keep in mind, Miles did a superb job recording ATW. Anyone receiving his mix tapes knows the effort he puts into something unique will have you wanting more.

Here's playback of his tape when I first received it. The cassette deck used for playback is my Esoteric V-9000, out of the viewing field of the video.

Click on image to play video:

Nando.

Dazen1

Congratulations on your latest addition Nando.

I'm quite surprised to see that you are still adding cassette decks to your existing excellent system(s). Other than the aesthetics, is there anything especially noteworthy about this new arrival?

(Good call with the 'test tape'...)

Miracle Mile

Anyone receiving his mix tapes knows the effort he puts into something unique will have you wanting more....

Nando.
Don't worry Nando...

Days are shortening already and there will be more time to spend on the projects that are on the shelve yet.

There's also good news:

The first "ATW" project turned out to be so succesful that I've worked on the second edition over the last few months:

I did most of the mixing of it here at home from February till the end of July, but I had the opportunity to do the final mixdown and mastering in a very well equiped and professional audio studio.
This studio wasn't in use for two weeks and they were so kind to let me in for few days.
The final result of it and the audioquality in particular is quite "satisfying" and from a "fasten your seatbelts" catagory.....

As soon as time will allow me I will run some copies on tape and send them out.

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Staff member
Thanks, Daren. I like decks that are off the beaten path. This one is a sleeper deck and provided there are no issues with the mechanically sliding cassette tray, it's going to be one I like to see remain in my system. One of my goals for the future is to have a newly renovated stereo room, downstairs, dedicated to old components and everything operational through a master switching box .

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Well, that's very good news, Miles. You know I will be itching to receive my copy when the time comes. It sounds like your next ATW will be over the top!

Nando.

Dazen1

Thanks, Daren. I like decks that are off the beaten path. This one is a sleeper deck and provided there are no issues with the mechanically sliding cassette tray, it's going to be one I like to see remain in my system. One of my goals for the future is to have a newly renovated stereo room, downstairs, dedicated to old components and everything operational through a master switching box.
Sounds good Nando.

Hopefully, this deck will provide years of pleasure.

As soon as time will allow me I will run some copies on tape and send them out.
Be a good chap and run me off a copy on one of those MP3 cassettes.

No Dolby please. :wink:

Miracle Mile

Keeping the sports alive

Be a good chap and run me off a copy on one of those MP3 cassettes.

No Dolby please. :wink:
Well, it's worth considering a top class deck to play this edition because it will keep the sports of squeezing the best out of a cassette tape alive....

But as a true Digital Dissident I will send your copy in the usual way.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Nice deck Nando. I've always liked the metering on those a/d/s rigs.
Thanks, Tony. Sort of has that NAD look to it.

Well, it's worth considering a top class deck to play this edition because it will keep the sports of squeezing the best out of a cassette tape alive....

But as a true Digital Dissident I will send your copy in the usual way.
Miles: I can't believe it - there's already a line-up forming at the airport.

Nando.