Fresh Tascam 42NB

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Well, she's out on the truck for delivery. I'm going right now to find the dolly to move it to a safe unpacking area (91lbs boxed). I pray there is no damage. I'll post some pics if I can un-box it without help.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
It was worth the wait. It came with some test results from it's trip to the shop. I'll find out soon if it is tweaked close enough for the tape I use. No damage in shipping. One heavy bitch

IMG_5375rs (2208 x 1656).jpg IMG_5376rs (2208 x 1656).jpg IMG_5377rs (2208 x 1656).jpg

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Just finished the recap, installing the rebuilt DC motors, polishing guides, installing the new Pinch roller, and it will get a brand new set of heads in the next week or so (after I catch up on the "Honey Do" list since I picked up the wife at the airport yesterday). This Tascam is getting the royal treatment before she comes into the house to reside in my system (if I can hold onto an amp for any length of time). I collected the Calibration tape, Tentelometer for setting tape tension, 2 spring gauges and a brand new Service manual instead of the junk one with no schematics they are selling an some sites. I was thinking about doing some custom powder coating to a few parts to jazz it up a little since they didn't care what they looked like when serving in broadcast duties. I may do the same thing to the second Tascam (They are both the same model) and I have a new set of motors and it has like new heads already and a new pinch roller, and a bunch of other parts too). I'm gonna hate to sell that one since it's already a killer deck. Here are a couple pics of what I been doing with this rebuild.... Cmon, nobody needs a deck?????

Well Joe, we'll see how well she sings when this job is completed... I'll tell you, with rebuilt motors, which they changed the bearings and polished the commutators for me (the old bearings had 30 year old grease all hardened and caused noise both electrical and mechanical), quieted the noise down and it seems smoother with all new caps and a clean and lube. I got some serious hours into this one... Well, the other one too. probably about 6 hours in just cleaning per machine, getting all the flux, dirt, grease and gunk out of them.

IMG_5472rs (2208 x 1656).jpg IMG_5473rs (2208 x 1656).jpg IMG_5474rs (2208 x 1656).jpg IMG_5475rs (2208 x 1656).jpg IMG_5476rs (2208 x 1656).jpg IMG_5477rs (2208 x 1656).jpg IMG_5480rs (2208 x 1656).jpg

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
The power supply recap might have been a good idea and the heads and motors usually do not suffer too badly in these decks. I have never seen a worn out head on these until I saw a guy selling a 42 head block on E bay with open gaps on the play head- too much lapping going on these days with absolutely no need for it and that is wear down heads more than the tape. Just a comment in general now that I gave Tapeheads the boot.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
The power supply recap might have been a good idea and the heads and motors usually do not suffer too badly in these decks. I have never seen a worn out head on these until I saw a guy selling a 42 head block on E bay with open gaps on the play head- too much lapping going on these days with absolutely no need for it and that is wear down heads more than the tape. Just a comment in general now that I gave Tapeheads the boot.
The motors DO SUFFER... You may have not noticed but the bearings go tit's up with dried up grease and noisy commutators.... I could tell as soon as I appied power to it yesterday after getting them rebuilt. As far as heads, I have a new pair and since I did everything else to the machine, The new heads will be another step to having a basically NEW machine. And, I don't have to rely on anybody to do it for me. I be teachin myself some new skills. And if and when I sell it, I will know how many hours the heads have on it and not have to listen to somebody blowing smoke up my ass about a half worn out machine. New parts, new tapes... Life don't get any better even if you say they don't need that much work. I have it here in front of me so I see what it needs. Now my other machine? It has perfect heads but I may rebuild the motors to give the 30 year old bearing the boot...... If and when somebody gets a deck from me, it will be right and I don't need to hide anything like some sellers out there. Sorry, it's just me.....