Fred's "my wife thinks I'm crazy" 700B conversion

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
Had so much fun doing 400s I figured a 700B was in order. Chassis is ready. On to the backplanes.

Edit 10/12/14: This thread is for the guys (or gals?) that are interested in trying to do a WOPL mod themselves. It's doable assuming you are able to:
1) solder without mucking things up (temp controlled solder iron required)
2) be detail oriented (at least while you do this project)
3) follow instructions (Joe will tell you exactly what to do in the docs, answers emails with questions quickly)
4) take you time doing the work (if you tend to blast through projects, forget about it)
Good luck!

Attachments

Last edited:

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Hey Fred! I love the 400s myself and can't wait for a 700B to be built to the max for me. I will be watching this thread and see how you build yours!

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
Hey Fred! I love the 400s myself and can't wait for a 700B to be built to the max for me. I will be watching this thread and see how you build yours!
I took some extra time to read up on past 700 threads and am glad I did. Particularly getting the star point ground right and proper routing of AC for lowest noise.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Looks good so far. Are those new can caps? If so, where did you pick those up ?

'73, we have group buys of the PS caps from time to time. Contact NavLinear . The last batch was 15kuf/160 volt for 30.00 each.

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
Thanks Joe. Must admit I've been smitten by the BABB concept. Backplanes populated and wired. Time to drop them in the chassis.

Attachments

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
In the first photo you'll see that I use thermal grease between the heatsinks and the chassis. Idea is to more efficiently use the mass of the chassis to keep the outputs cooler.

Also in that photo you'll see a couple tabs of duct tape on the heatsink. The 700s differ from the 8-fin 400s in that the 700 heatsinks come in 4 units of 2 fins each whereas the 400s are 2 units of 4 fins each. With the 400 this allows you to use the backplane standoffs between fins 2/3 and fins 6/7 to hold the heatsinks on the outside of the chassis and the backplanes on the inside the chassis while you wire up the backplane. Not so with the 700. Duct tape to the rescue.

Once the heatsinks are taped in place I used several screws to temporarily hold each unit down while backplane wiring occurs. See second photo. NOTE WELL: these screws must come out before powering the amp as they produce a short!

The third photo shows the backplane secured in the chassis by the temporary screws and ready for wiring. Time to fire up the soldering iron.

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
How is the fit on the standoff bushings going. Are you having to resize any holes??

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
How is the fit on the standoff bushings going. Are you having to resize any holes??
I drilled out the heatsink holes with a letter c drill bit per Joe's docs. Checked the chassis holes for undersize and they were fine. Bushings went in smoothly.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
A lot easier to hold an allen head machine screw on the wrench and do some inserting...