"Flying" Output Wires to DCP

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
Is there a better way of running the backplane outputs to the DCP board? Some sort of coax like is done on the inputs? The yellow "flying" wires in the photo are the ones I'm talking about.

Attachments

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
I've used coax on radio frequency output, not audio frequency. The amps I've rebuilt the DCPs are wired similar to yours.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Is there a better way of running the backplane outputs to the DCP board? Some sort of coax like is done on the inputs? The yellow "flying" wires in the photo are the ones I'm talking about.
Your wiring is near perfect George...poster child for proper output routing.

George S.

O.K., thanks. Everytime I look at them I think maybe coax grounded on one end would be better, like CB coax RG-58 or 59. Sticking with the "Flying Yellow Output Wires" Thanks guys!

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
O.K., thanks. Everytime I look at them I think maybe coax grounded on one end would be better, like CB coax RG-58 or 59. Sticking with the "Flying Yellow Output Wires" Thanks guys!
You need big, fat, short wire, not wimpy (a technical term) coax cable in order to keep the damping factor intact. Any ohms you add to the speaker runs helps to depress damping factor witnessed at your speakers. You do not want to lose damping factor to the resistance in your wires that connect amp to speakers.

George S.

Now, that makes sense. Definitely wouldn't want to run coax from the amp to the speakers. Was just concerned about all the boards so close to those wires and possible interference.
So just consider them speaker wire and keep them spaced away as much as possible from other wires and boards. Works for me.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Now, that makes sense. Definitely wouldn't want to run coax from the amp to the speakers. Was just concerned about all the boards so close to those wires and possible interference.
So just consider them speaker wire and keep them spaced away as much as possible from other wires and boards. Works for me.
Separation is your friend...

It may not be satisfying to any of our OCD tendencies but technically it works.

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
You need big, fat, short wire, not wimpy (a technical term) coax cable in order to keep the damping factor intact. Any ohms you add to the speaker runs helps to depress damping factor witnessed at your speakers. You do not want to lose damping factor to the resistance in your wires that connect amp to speakers.
Granted RG-58-59 is wimpy. But how about hardline coax?

https://www.rfparts.com/coax/heliaxcoax/heliax-78inch.html

:)

mlucitt

mlucitt

It is amazing they were talking about klystron technology in 1956, it was the concept behind the microwave oven of the 1980's. According to the story an radar engineer had a Hershey bar in his shirt pocket when he was operating a klystron tube. When the candy bar melted he realized there were RF waves radiating through space that could heat food (and people).