Fixing a Sony CDP-110?

So I have an old Sony CDP-110 lying around. I would like to fix it.
The issue it's having is: It will open and take a CD, but the spindle won't come down. Manually holding it down will make it read the CD, but when playing, it skips back tracks and then just gives two symbols in the place where the track number should be. They are two lines, formed like a 90 degree angle. Which ofcourse is weird. Now my question is, how do I get it to put the spindle down itself? Then I can diagnose whether it doesn't play because I'm not holding the spindle down right, or if it's something else.

It didn't help out. Practically the chugging arm, which comes down on the spindle usually, doesn't move unless you manually hold it down. However, letting it go after pushing down will have it spring back again. Which is what I don't understand.

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Page SEVEN will have a diagram of the mechanism and Sony was even kind enough to list similar models and the mechanism type on the cover.

I think you will find what you need in it.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
Does it have sentimental value? Is it collectible?? If "NO" then it can be replaced with a cheap Blu-Ray player. I made the move - no regrets.

orange

Tagline
It probably does, in that it will probably work again without much trouble and like a tank after more than twenty years...I have a lot of sentiment for that.

Resistance is futile-damn the screwdrivers!

Yes, I do have the service manual. Tried removing and re-inserting the chugging arm, didn't do it.
Warped - Yes and no. Yes, the chugging arm won't go down. No, it won't stay down when pushed down. It will just jump up again. It's supposed to stick onto the spindle, but it doesn't even do that.

orange

Tagline
Gimme a minute and I'll find the link to the CD repair tips site from way back when that will also help.

I need a bologna sammich in my tummy and my insulin first (in reverse order).

orange

Tagline
I think the key here is to get that diagram blown up a bit and compare parts. And YES, I would suspect from some experience that the drive in the YT video is doing what yours does.

HERE is your link, as promised: http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/cdfaq.htm

Also...(see attached)

Attachments

orange

Tagline
Pages 25 and 26 contain exploded views of the drive mechanism...25 is slightly more important but you should study both closely.

Now, there is a screw of sorts to adjust...either the on on the SIDE of the arm that attaches to the spring, or the one labeled '153'...probably the side first as I don't think that 153 is the one.

Attachments

orange

Tagline
By the way, have you checked for a bad belt or laser response?

If that guy's Sony has the same issue, then mine is ever further out. It will eject, and take a disc, but the chugging arm doesn't come down. There is a spring in place, so that can't be it either. Holding it down manual allows it to load the disc. In his video, the arm won't do it either, but when pushed down, it stays in place on the spindle, which lets the CD player continue on fine. That's why there is a difference, and why I said yes and no to your video.

orange

Tagline
That's why I mentioned adjusting the screw on the right at the back that goes to the spring. It's for tension. I would gather that it's tightened too little and the spring keeps it open or something. See if the clamp *round spinning doohickie that goes over the hole* goes down and immediately pops up on loading or if that's only when you push it down.

If the clamp is mostly down but not all the way you can even see the disc spin in REVERSE!

That repair FAQ link I gave you is absolutely INVALUABLE! Bookmark it by all means!

Tagline
---
I think the key here is to get that diagram blown up a bit and compare parts. And YES, I would suspect from some experience that the drive in the YT video is doing what yours does.

HERE is your link, as promised: http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/cdfaq.htm

Also...(see attached)

access that spring, stretch it out a little bit, and reassemble. that should restore mechanical tension at least as good as new...