Eddie Van Halen - RIP

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
WTF???? He's a youngster (was). When I read the Red Rocker's book, he was talking about him and his brother. They always had a butts hanging out of their mouths and he had part of his tongue removed, probably cancer.... RIP Eddie

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
They said:

"Though he was a heavy smoker for years, he believes he developed throat cancer from a metal guitar pick he used to frequently hold in his mouth more than 20 years ago."

I guess anything is possible but I say it was the "Nails" he was smokin.

Metal guitar pick??? Bullshit

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Now there's a duo I would pay to see!!!

RIP Eddie, love ya man!!

mlucitt

I've been to his house, they played at the local high schools in San Gabriel Valley. Everyone in his Netherlands family played an instrument. He was born in Amsterdam, and the family moved to California around 1965. Very much talent in that gene pool. Eddie began playing the drums, while Alex took up guitar. The brothers switched their respective instruments shortly thereafter (while Eddie was out working a paper route trying to make his drum kit's payments, Alex was bashing away at his drums, until he was actually better than Eddie). Guitarists like Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page influenced the youngest Van Halen to pick up the guitar.

The Van Halen brothers began playing backyard parties and clubs in the Los Angeles area (mixing covers with originals), and eventually hooked up with New York singer David Lee Roth and bassist Michael Anthony in the early '70s, as the group Mammoth. Eddie quickly became the top guitarist on the local music scene, as the group changed their name by the mid-'70s to simply Van Halen.
Ed has also appeared on other artist's recordings -- his most famous being an uncredited solo on Michael Jackson's 1983 monster hit, "Beat It."

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
What happened with Mark Anthony? An unceremonious dismissal?

I saw a Van Halen video clip with him and a Jack Daniels shaped bass. That was tres cool. And then he took an extra, extra long pull from bottle of JD he just happened to have.

Ever since seeing that I’ve wondered if he was a genuine piss tank or if that bottle was full of tea.

mlucitt

What happened with Mark Anthony? An unceremonious dismissal?
Reports back in the day suggested that MICHAEL Anthony was tired of the abuse he got from Eddie so he started playing bass for Sammy Hagar's band, Los Tres Gusanos (in English, The Three Worms) formed in 1993.
Eddie did not like Anthony playing with Sammy Hagar after he left the band and at one point he “demoted” Anthony to a 'backing vocals and bassist'. I believe it was during the tour where Van Halen released their first live album “Right Here, Right Now” Anthony was the only one to make money from the tour because he was making a flat salary. Eddie let Michael Anthony go with a nice severance package.
The ultimate insult was when Van Halen remastered and released their first six albums with David Lee Roth and of course Anthony played on all of those albums. But after he was dismissed, on the albums "Van Halen" and "Women and Children First" they airbrushed Anthony out of the covers and substituted Wolfgang Van Halen even though Wolfgang was born 13 years after the first album.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
The ultimate insult was when Van Halen remastered and released their first six albums with David Lee Roth and of course Anthony played on all of those albums. But after he was dismissed, on the albums "Van Halen" and "Women and Children First" they airbrushed Anthony out of the covers and substituted Wolfgang Van Halen even though Wolfgang was born 13 years after the first album.
That album cover urban legend of actual covers being changed was a promo stunt for their 'back with Roth' tours. It was for website and tour promos; no actual covers were altered and printed.