Dusted another old fav off

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
It's ya'lls fault, I brought my Kewood Basic M1D amp out for a spin, warmed 'er up, and what a champ, 165 @ 8ohms, level controls matched to my Yamaha CX-600URS

I think I paid about $70 for it, what a powerhouse! :p Just have the baby AR shoebox's hooked up with it in the 'puter room, Woof! Nice amp, nuthin' Basic about it.

Now that the TV stand issue with my main system is up in the air, I just might have to bring this puppy back into the mix with the 'Logans again for fun, love how all this stuff brings new life, sounds you never heard,

Where is the perfect system?? :study: :violent2:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
NICE YAMMIE, specs? The horns have had an upgrade with a Crites 1526s woofer, Minelli Tractix horn with a B&C 2 " driver and a B&C BE 10 tweet. They can literally shake the walls. The Spec 2's have been upgraded also, they now will do 325@ 8 ohms per, and the Spec 1's have received the audio caps in the signal path, with a beefed up power supply. Don't make me break out the 700's!!!!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
The rack was from a dealer here in Gillette. It is "The Rack" of Pioneers.

PS. That Yamaha is GORGEOUS!!

stuwee

laatsch55 said:
NICE YAMMIE, specs? The horns have had an upgrade with a Crites 1526s woofer, Minelli Tractix horn with a B&C 2 " driver and a B&C BE 10 tweet. They can literally shake the walls. The Spec 2's have been upgraded also, they now will do 325@ 8 ohms per, and the Spec 1's have received the audio caps in the signal path, with a beefed up power supply. Don't make me break out the 700's!!!!
Oooo, I've not heard of those Minellii's or the B&C's before, schweeet! Are the woofs JBL sourced? Anyhoo, the Yammie is 170+ @8 ohms, 600+ @1 ohm, very confusing info about the 'hyperbolic drive' of the amp, I've never heard a good explaination of how it works, just know it sounds good with a demanding, high current load my speaks demand, info here..... http://www.wired4sound.net.au/amplifier ... mx_800.htm

There's buttons for the meters (which suck btw, nasty looking things, no info like a Mac blues!) Anyway, it sounds sweet with anything I throw at it, I only paid $350 acouple years ago for it, :cheers:

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
Well I guess I should box up The PL to ship and bring out the lowly H/K with no power button. Elroy gave it to me. It didn't sound bad on the little CVs. My guys are coming today to clean out the garage for Mon. The appraiser is coming today. Get the guys to help me with the labs and the amp.

Larry

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Yep I guess you should box it up and ship it, got the Speaker DC protects in from ampslabs and the tiny little power supplies fror them yesterday, so I'm as ready as I can be.
The B&C drivers are made in Italy and the wood Tractix horn is made for Al Klappenberger by Minelli. Al builds a hell of a crossover for the K-Horns. Light years ahead of Klipsch. It'll all be moot as I plan on Tri-amping the buggers as soon as I decide on a horn amp. I've been itchin to try some tubes on the Mids.

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
Do you want a tube kit or do you want an amp. I can probably find you one. Just tell me what you want? I like the one pre that is copied after the Marantz 7.

Larry

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Don't need a pre, when tri-amping the active crossovers feed the amps. I'm thinking a 30-40watt tube would power the 2 inch B&C horn drivers.

stuwee

K, ya'll made me wet now, tubes with mids.....Marantz 7 pre...*faint* *poof* *shezam*

Lee, if you can find a Pilot SA-232 amp, 4 EL-84 output tubes in good shape (mine needs work) I gar-Un-Tee you will be bowled over by the sound, I can't describe it (even on my old, needs a restore) just melts in your ears YuMMy!! :evil2: sell your soul for more!

They sell for big bucks tho, ask Rex Everything, he knows :evil3: :glasses3:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I haven't heard tubes since my Dad built a Lafayette kit in 1960. So i still haven't heard a good tube system, and I keep hearing about the tube sound. That may be a ways off because after get done wit Larry's 700 I'm going to build from scratch a pair of 400watt L-Mosfet mono blocks based on G. Sloans design. I've got almost everything rounded up, ordered the mosfets today as a matter of fact. Learning how to etch my own PCB's this week. Our company has an in-house machine shop I have access to including pair of smaller milling machines to do most of the cabinet and chassis work. Bridgeports, gotta love 'em. Been thinking about these for a couple years and when I get them done was gonna send them on a tour of the folks on this forum for evaluation. I know this forum hasn't been around that long, but this one i feel comfortable enough to do that with.

stuwee

Wow! That sounds like a plan, 400watt MOSFETs? they are known for a tube-like sound but those blow my feeble mind :violent2:

Jbeckva and I have a little Sanyo A-35 Plus Series intergrated amp that has the best MOSFET sound I've ever heard (especialy thru headphones, AKG 601's I got from speakerman) only 50 little watts but, Damn it sounds sweet. Can't play with the big boys but, sometimes less is more.....

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I've heard a mosfet has a tube like sound, another reason for the project. Why 400 watts you say?
Simple, DYNAMIC HEADROOM. With these K-Horns headroom is no joke, they can go from very soft to very loud. I've had them at 350 watts continuous for a good 5 minutes and they didn't blow, had to leave the room but they can stand it. So when a source like a cd has 100DB of dynamic range its nice to be able to reproduce it. BTW the 5 minutes was the last segment of STYX-Suite Madam Blue.