Double-Duty Harman/Kardon DC5500

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Hi all,

This harman/kardon cassette deck had been sitting on the shelf since September 2011 at a local vintage store I like to swing by. After seeing it there each time I dropped by, I finally decided to buy it. There had been an interested buyer before me, but he didn't return back soon enough to scoop it.

I routinely like to try my pre-recorded tapes on newly acquired decks. If a deck can play a pre-recorded cassette well enough, then I trust playing my better tapes in it. I've picked up three cassette decks in the past month - all have worked fine and down the road I hope to use one of the three decks for a mix tape exchange.

Once I learn more about this model of h/k, I will post a few videos of it in action. I loaded a pair of 70's Bad Company tapes into the machine for a practice run.

Nando.

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Staff member
You got me there, Doug.

Robert: It's a two-header on both sides.

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
I was wondering what an isotropic head was all about. Here's an explanation in the patent:

"This soft magnetic multilayer film is magnetic isotropic and is provided with a high saturation magnetic flux density and an anisotropy of high magnetic permeability, so that it is suitable for the various magnetic head at a high production yield. The soft magnetic multilayer film is comprised of at least one film unit, which comprises a plurality of soft magnetic layers made of Fe--M--N component alloy or Fe--M--B--N component alloy are laminated through a non-magnetic insulating layer on a bias-applied substrate by means of a sputtering and are provided with a high magnetic permeability which direction is different from both neighboring soft magnetic layers through the magnetic insulating layer."

I am liking John's reference better - less wordy and right to the point.

Nando.

eminence1963

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
I was wondering what an isotropic head was all about. Here's an explanation in the patent:

"This soft magnetic multilayer film is magnetic isotropic and is provided with a high saturation magnetic flux density and an anisotropy of high magnetic permeability, so that it is suitable for the various magnetic head at a high production yield. The soft magnetic multilayer film is comprised of at least one film unit, which comprises a plurality of soft magnetic layers made of Fe--M--N component alloy or Fe--M--B--N component alloy are laminated through a non-magnetic insulating layer on a bias-applied substrate by means of a sputtering and are provided with a high magnetic permeability which direction is different from both neighboring soft magnetic layers through the magnetic insulating layer."

Nando.
Holy Crap that's a mouthful of reading....;-)
Sounds like a lot of snakeoil.......:happy3:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
If you imagine someone having sex....it makes a lot of sense....very descriptive...

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation

Nando.
I looked that up also, but just couldn't get my brain around what all that meant. Nice looking deck though. :toothy5: