Denon DR-M4

derek92994

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
Finally received this after a 9 day wait. Gave it a head clean and demagnetize (was clean anyway). Am testing it with a few tapes recorded in my JVC, the sound is magical, much better than the JVC playback wise (better OP amps in this unit) its good to know that this Denon is compatible with Recordings done in the JVC, also tells me head alignment is good. Have not tried recording yet, but will do. Cosmetics are great, am very happy with this unit. Half the fun is testing it out and making more tapes. Its the first Quartz lock and 3rd dual capstan deck I own.

I think this machine has potential to knock the JVC (TD-V661) off its podium. The only thing it lacks is HXPRO which the JVC has, but that is not essential to a good recording. Bias settings are auto detected, I hope this does not cause any issues as I am accustomed to calibrating this manually on the JVC, although I do hear reports that the auto tuning system has 100,000 possible combinations for tape calibration and that it has worked well for others.

derek92994

Tagline
The Auto Computer Calibration system can be engaged at any point in the tape. So for a fair comparison I wound the tape to the center (Like I did with the JVC), the only difference being this calibration is auto on the Denon and manual with the JVC.

Recording some tracks from Daft Punk's "Random Access Memories" and Leftfield's "Leftism" to do an A/B Comparison. Sony Metal XR60 is the test tape. Lets see how this goes.....

Last edited:

derek92994

Tagline
Ok A/B Comparison JVC TD-V661 VS Denon DR-M4

Recorded and played back in the Denon, beautiful, crispy highs and deep bass, can't fault it at all.

Played tape recorded by the Denon in the JVC, same, very nice sound.

Played tape recorded by the JVC in the Denon, not as clear as the Denon Recording. Possible head configuration/compatibility issue or bias setting.

Played tape recorded by the JVC in the JVC, almost as clear as the Denon recording, only a hair fraction less treble. This could be attributed to the bias being set slightly different.

Conclusion: These two decks are on par with each other. I think the Denon has the smallest edge over the JVC, but the JVC has the potential for "hotter" (higher recording level) recordings due to its HX-PRO technology. Although I will say that its nice to know in the Denon, the Bias setting is not altered in any way according to recording frequencies/levels, possibly allowing for a more consistent recording. The Denon although has the edge of having a much heavier build quality, larger capstan fly wheels, more advanced power supply (DC) and Quartz lock speed accuracy.

These two decks will remain in my collection for a very long time, both outstanding performers. The JVC is extremely durable. I have only fitted a new capstan belt to the direct drive capstan wheel and that's it. I have given the JVC hell and recorded many many tapes in it (probably 300-500), with no sign of head wear or fidelity reduction. I did have a small problem with fidelity varying in the JVC with certain tapes, but this has since stopped occurring, possibly due to multiple cleans or the way the tape may have been tensioned at the time.

Great result overall, I would not hesitate to recommend either of these decks to any audiophile.

derek92994

Tagline
Found more info on the deck, translated so english is not perfect:

[TABLE="width: 700"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD][SIZE=-1]Cassette deck that has been developed as the finest model of M series.[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]

[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]A mechanism part I have adopted two capstan system.[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]The head in this manner is installed two pairs of capstan around, subtly changing the rotational speed of the two pairs of capstans, respectively, to achieve the proper tape tension and stable tape run in the vicinity of the head.[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Clear also, hub rampage and of in the cassette half, cut off in both capstan and pinch roller before it affects the head surface well as tape vibration generated in the slidingly such as the tape slip sheet of small, low-modulation noise I have realized the sound quality.[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]

[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]The capstan drive motor is adopted a direct-drive motor with a flat face shaped design, it has canceled the torque unevenness and with obtaining a strong rotation torque.[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]In addition, it does not generate electrical noise for brushless, has durability improved.[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Furthermore, to perform capstan drive direct, and is raising the wow and flutter by directly servo by the combination of the speed detection mechanism attached to the flywheel surface.[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]In addition, this is the servo circuit has adopted the FG servo of the entire circumference integral sample-and-hold method, we have obtained a very high stability at high gain.[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]DR-M4 and is the adopted Quartz locking to control the rotational speed, and has an FG servo operation more reliable by the phase control circuit using an accurate and stable crystal oscillator.[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]

[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]To the running system I have adopted a silent mechanism.[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]This mechanism is adopted the motor cam driven by discharging the like big plunger of the mechanical noise.[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Furthermore optical detection type counter, place the microcomputer between its own position detection for encoders and mechanical control motor (cam drive), you have to control the computer to check the tape point looking and driving mode.[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]

[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]It has adopted the non-slip reel drive system, to achieve a uniform winding tension.[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]This method eliminates the variation of the one obtained utilizing the relationship characteristic of rotational speed and torque of the reel motors, common winding force due to changes such as temperature and humidity becomes a problem in the mechanical slip mechanism, dropouts, wow flutter, we are improving the durability of the mechanism with improving such as phase characteristics.[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]

[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]

[/SIZE][/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
[TABLE]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]<ins class="adsbygoogle" data-ad-client="ca-pub-0298264792816716" data-ad-slot="6776044332" data-adsbygoogle-status="done" style="display: inline-block; width: 468px; height: 60px;"><ins id="aswift_0_expand" style="display: inline-table; border: none; height: 60px; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; position: relative; visibility: visible; width: 468px; background-color: transparent;"><ins id="aswift_0_anchor" style="display: block; border: none; height: 60px; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; position: relative; visibility: visible; width: 468px; background-color: transparent;"><iframe style="width: 468px" height="60" frameborder="0" margin="" marginheight="0" vspace="0" hspace="0" allowtransparency="true" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen="true" id="aswift_0" name="aswift_0"></iframe></ins></ins></ins>[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
[TABLE]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="align: center"]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]
[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
<center>
</center>

Last edited:

derek92994

Tagline
part 2

Lok to re-head I have adopted the SF (Super Frequency) combination head.
Recorded on the head part is you are using a high super-permalloy saturation magnetic flux density in the core, also supports a high level recording tape, such as metal tape.It is greatly improved wear resistance by further employing the sendust the dummy cores.
Also, playing the head portion is a high-density ferrite cores excellent in less wear resistance high frequency loss as combination head I am the first time adopted.Moreover, we have improved the variation of magnetic properties due to sliding noise and temperature changes that cause the modulation noise to the size of the magnetic particles with conventional 1/2 or less.
SF head has a combination of these heads, especially parallel displacement of the read gap and recording gaps that are essential to the retention of high frequency and phase characteristics to a flat frequency characteristic in a wide by suppressing within 1/20 degrees acquired have.In addition, the coil in an effort to sound quality improved by the use of oxygen-free copper wire.

The power supply circuit and is fully separated from the amplifier system and the logic system, has eliminated the mutual interference.In addition, the amplifier system has adopted the independent power scheme called independent power supply, and has realized the stabilization of the circuit.

Recording amplifier and playback amplifier has adopted the differential input push-pull DC amplifier circuit of low-noise design, we are supplying the high-voltage power supply by ± 2 power system.This further expand the dynamic range, and has prevented the clipping distortion in the signal transmission system.In addition, we are working to higher sound quality by configuring a DC amplifier to a final stage with removing the condenser between the playback head and the first-stage amplifier.
The bias circuit is adopted high transformer and a push-pull configuration of stability, reducing the erase noise as well as improve the bias waveform distortion.

The display part I have adopted the peak meter wide range employing a fluorescent bar graph method.
Dolby B is in FL in the meter & C, monitor, you have, such as a tape position is centralized display.In addition, the peak meter I am equipped with a peak hold function to be auto reset every 1.5 seconds.

It has adopted the one-touch Rec pause mechanism, it will be by simply recording standby press the REC button.

I have adopted the Dolby B type and Dolby C type as a noise reduction system.
DR-M4 also at the time of recording simultaneous monitor it by a double Dolby configuration in is possible Dolby playback.

Has a built-in MPX filter, you can cut the 19kHz pilot signal of FM source.

The computer counter is adopted, it can also be displayed in the minute and second units running time in addition to the normal 4-digit electronic counter by the switch switching.

The computer tuning function I is equipped.
To find automatically the best position to tape from the adjustment of 100 000 ways in this function, move the sensitivity for any tape, you can set the frequency characteristic flat.

We head out of the 20 songs before and after is equipped with a possible computer search function.
This feature works by sensing the three unrecorded part of more than 1-4 seconds between songs.

I is equipped with a memory stop mechanism.

I am equipped with the output level control in conjunction with volume control of the headphones.

[SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE]

derek92994

Tagline
part 3

Equipped with a timer Play / Rec mechanism, you can message recording and alarm playback by connecting an optional timer.

Pause / Mute mechanism is adopted, with the aim to improve the operability by summarizing the REC mute and pause to one.
Press and hold at the time of recording REC mute, it becomes pose When you release, it will be that the recording state again press the play button.

And equipped with a rear follow recording mechanism to record Turning to state with one touch from the playback state that was running the tape.

It is equipped with a remote control terminal, you can use the optional remote control unit RC-57.

derek92994

Tagline
part 4

[TABLE]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD][SIZE=-1]Model[/SIZE][/TD]
[TD]Denon DR-M4[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][SIZE=-1]Track system[/SIZE][/TD]
[TD][SIZE=-1]4 track two-channel stereo[/SIZE][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][SIZE=-1]Tape selector[/SIZE][/TD]
[TD][SIZE=-1]Three-stage auto tape selector (Normal, CrO2, Metal)[/SIZE][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][SIZE=-1]Head[/SIZE][/TD]
[TD][SIZE=-1]Recording and playback: SF combination head[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Erasure: Double gap ferrite head[/SIZE][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][SIZE=-1]Motor[/SIZE][/TD]
[TD][SIZE=-1]For capstan: FG servo Quartz lock DD motor[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Reel: DC Motor[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Mechanical control: DC Motor[/SIZE][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][SIZE=-1]Wow and flutter[/SIZE][/TD]
[TD][SIZE=-1]± 0.04% (W.Peak)[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]0.027% (WRMS)[/SIZE][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][SIZE=-1]Early Volume time[/SIZE][/TD]
[TD][SIZE=-1]About 90 seconds (C-60)[/SIZE][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][SIZE=-1]Comprehensive frequency characteristics (input -20VU)[/SIZE][/TD]
[TD][SIZE=-1]Metal tape: 20Hz ~ 23kHz (25Hz ~ 21kHz ± 3dB)[/SIZE][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][SIZE=-1]General SN ratio[/SIZE][/TD]
[TD][SIZE=-1]Dolby C NR on: 73dB or more (to 3% THD level, CCIR / ARM measurement method)[/SIZE][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][SIZE=-1]Input terminal[/SIZE][/TD]
[TD][SIZE=-1]Mic: 0.35mV / 10kΩ unbalanced (10kΩ following conform to the microphone)[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Line: 77.5mV / 50kΩ unbalanced[/SIZE][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][SIZE=-1]Output terminal (Vol.max)[/SIZE][/TD]
[TD][SIZE=-1]Line: 775mV / 10kΩ unbalanced[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Headphone: 1.2mW (8Ω load, conform to the headphone of 8Ω ~ 2kΩ)[/SIZE][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][SIZE=-1]Power supply[/SIZE][/TD]
[TD][SIZE=-1]AC100V, 50Hz / 60Hz[/SIZE][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][SIZE=-1]Power consumption[/SIZE][/TD]
[TD][SIZE=-1]22W[/SIZE][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][SIZE=-1]External dimensions[/SIZE][/TD]
[TD][SIZE=-1]Width 464 × height 115 × depth 286mm[/SIZE][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][SIZE=-1]Weight[/SIZE][/TD]
[TD][SIZE=-1]6.5kg[/SIZE][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 2"][SIZE=-1]Optional: remote control unit RC-57 (\ 6,000)[/SIZE][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][SIZE=-1]Chord length[/SIZE][/TD]
[TD][SIZE=-1]5m[/SIZE][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][SIZE=-1]External dimensions[/SIZE][/TD]
[TD][SIZE=-1]Width 38 × height 17 × depth 120mm[/SIZE][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][SIZE=-1]Weight[/SIZE][/TD]
[TD][SIZE=-1]About 160g (including code)[/SIZE][/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

derek92994

Tagline
Michael Jackson - Thriller - Vinyl

Signal Path: Thorens TD 160 Super / AT440MLa Cartridge to PC in 24-bit/96khz raw format ---> Very Light Click/Pop filter applied ----> Recording onto Denon DR-M4 - TDK SA90 tape, No dolby, Peaks at +3db.

I'm very impressed with this deck, the hi hat on 'wanna be startin' somethin' used to have horrible sibilance when recording on the JVC, I had to use dolby C to fix that. But the Denon DR-M4 doesn't need any dolby for this task. I also notice it has higher frequency response than the JVC (23,000hz compared to 21,000hz) with metal tape. Sounding sweet with this chrome tape.

derek92994

Tagline
Welcome to the world of Denon cassette decks! You've got an extra special one.
Thanks man, I do have a DR-F7 and a DR-230 but they both don't record. They make beautiful playback decks. Dare I say that Denons come very close to high end Nakamichis :evil4:

derek92994

Tagline
Congrats on such a nice deck find. Spec'd nice and built tough. :compress:
Its probably the second major high end deck I have purchased. Between the JVC and this Denon I'm covered for quality recordings. I'm very surprised that without HX-PRO recordings could be so good.

derek92994

Tagline
Further notes:

When I record tapes in the Denon DR-M4, playback on ANY deck is crystal clear and 100% compatible. I have tried The JVC V661, Nakamichi 480, Denon DR-230 and DR-F7, with great results. This is where the denon has the edge over the JVC's recordings. Although the JVC's recordings are compatible with most decks, but not all with some slight variations in fidelity depending on which deck used.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Very impressive specs, Derek. I watched the internet video clip of the computer tuning/calibration posted by another Denon DR-M4 owner. If you didn't follow the OM, you wouldn't be able to figure out how the calibration is done by watching the video.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/EC1oc0koTvs?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nando.

derek92994

Tagline
Very impressive specs, Derek. I watched the internet video clip of the computer tuning/calibration posted by another Denon DR-M4 owner. If you didn't follow the OM, you wouldn't be able to figure out how the calibration is done by watching the video.
Nando.
Thanks Nando, Yes I saw that video while researching some time ago. Its good you can do auto calibration tuning at any spot on the tape that you choose. I go for the middle. Downloaded the manual as well.

I'm currently cleaning the faces of my decks and got my Nakamichi BX-1 working again with an idler tyre from a spare parts deck. Gave all my other decks in the cabinet a quick run too, also testing Denon's recordings in them, good results.

Recorded Michael Jackson's "Thriller" and Kate Bush's "Kick Inside" on a TDK SA 90 with the denon, came out nicely. No dolby.

derek92994

Tagline
Just realised that my Denon DR-F7 actually DOES record in both channels. There is this tiny dial behind the main input level adjustment which controls the channel that I thought was dead, I've had this deck for nearly 2 years and thought it didn't record. Time to do a test recording with a Peter Tosh album.

derek92994

Tagline
Tried to record onto a BASF Ferro Maxima 90 cassette using the Denon DR-M4, auto calibration failed miserably, recording lacked treble big time. I had to use the JVC instead as it has manual calibration, and got good quality sound out of the tape. I guess that's the disadvantage of having auto calibration as its not always correct, not as good as my ears anyway. I have yet to try other brands of standard ferrics in this machine e.g. TDK/Maxell, might be a different story as I know the BASF ferrics are rather fussy requiring a much further turn of the bias dial, sometimes all the way to one side depending on the deck used.

Tested the DR-F7 for recording, it also has auto calibration, I used a Sony Metal XR60 for this, it didn't quite calibrate properly, there was lots of bass and treble, but greatly reduced mid range, ok for the reggae recorded on the tape but would have to try other tapes in it to see if its the same. At least its recording.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Ferro Extra I is no muss, no fuss for me and I love it. Suggest you find some manuals for those decks if you haven't already and make sure you aren't set for Type II by accident.