Denon 301 vs. 304

Bob Boyer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Sooo...as a result of J!m's V15-V thread, Overmodulated and I came to terms on his Denon 301 cartridge - me not paying attention to my own signature line and thinking that's what I had and not the higher-end 304 that I actually have. Short story long, said 301 arrived yesterday and I've installed it on my extra head shell. Been listening to both cartridges this morning and it's certainly interesting. It is taking a bit of time to swap out cartridges; the 301 is quite a bit lighter than the 304 and it take a bit of effort to rebalance the tonearm each time I switch.

Both are very good low-output moving coils and there is definitely a Denon "house" sound. Even though there's a couple of grams difference between them in weight, they share the same body, which leads me to believe the 304 is a hot-rodded 301. The 301 has the same strong bass, good treble, no real presence "hump" (or my ears are just shot), and the wide, deep sound stage I hear on my 304. The 304 is a bit smoother up top and I hear a little more air around the instruments, but there aren't any eye-popping differences. The 301 has a bit more output using the same loading settings on my phono preamp as my 304 and if I get serious about using it instead of the 304 I may play with the loading on it some to see if I can make any incremental improvements to its sound. As it is, it's more similar to my 304 than not and that's a good thing considering the difference in new prices between them.

Understand that I love my 304 and am glad its stylus is still in good shape but the bottom line is: I like the 301 a lot. At some point, I'm going to try to wring a little more performance out of it playing around with my preamp settings. I can highly recommend the 301, especially for medium to low mass arms.

Vintage 700b

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Fabricator
Sooo...as a result of J!m's V15-V thread, Overmodulated and I came to terms on his Denon 301 cartridge - me not paying attention to my own signature line and thinking that's what I had and not the higher-end 304 that I actually have. Short story long, said 301 arrived yesterday and I've installed it on my extra head shell. Been listening to both cartridges this morning and it's certainly interesting. It is taking a bit of time to swap out cartridges; the 301 is quite a bit lighter than the 304 and it take a bit of effort to rebalance the tonearm each time I switch.

Both are very good low-output moving coils and there is definitely a Denon "house" sound. Even though there's a couple of grams difference between them in weight, they share the same body, which leads me to believe the 304 is a hot-rodded 301. The 301 has the same strong bass, good treble, no real presence "hump" (or my ears are just shot), and the wide, deep sound stage I hear on my 304. The 304 is a bit smoother up top and I hear a little more air around the instruments, but there aren't any eye-popping differences. The 301 has a bit more output using the same loading settings on my phono preamp as my 304 and if I get serious about using it instead of the 304 I may play with the loading on it some to see if I can make any incremental improvements to its sound. As it is, it's more similar to my 304 than not and that's a good thing considering the difference in new prices between them.

Understand that I love my 304 and am glad its stylus is still in good shape but the bottom line is: I like the 301 a lot. At some point, I'm going to try to wring a little more performance out of it playing around with my preamp settings. I can highly recommend the 301, especially for medium to low mass arms.
Thank You Bob, for sharing this information. I am mainly a vinyl guy, and always looking to improve the qualities that I get from my vinyl. I know your background and experience and a comparison like this is something I can "take to the bank". Much appreciated. I have done similar comparisons through the years, still keeping different cartridges mounted up in extra headshells. It does take time to dial them in recalibrating your tonearm, so it's always a pleasure to hear what you have to say.
Thank You.

Bob Boyer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Thanks for those kind words. I should have noted that the 304 is no longer made so I think the 301 MkII is Denon's new top dog unless they've hot-rodded a DL-103. Should you run across a lightly used 304, I suggest snagging it if LOMC is in your wheelhouse. You'll need a good, quiet phono preamp, however, as it does add a bit of definition to the term "low-output".

If I were having to buy new and could audition several at the same time, I'd make sure a 301 was near the top of my list - it's a value leader.