Deck fast forwards and rewinds faster after warmed up?

analogman64

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
My Carver TD-1700 Fast forwards and rewinds faster after the deck is warmed up than it does when it's cold, is this normal?

Last edited:

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
No... Have you pulled the lid and watched it? Do the belts etc slip any, have any slack? Does the deck actually heat up? I would guess that some friction against the belts might warm them up and tighten them up some?

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Usually, the manufacturer specifies the amount of time a particular length of tape will ff and rw in the deck. If it's slower than that, there could be a number of reasons. You have probably found that some tapes are slower to rw and ff in warmed-up condition and that's due to slight binding of the tape pack because of the slip sheets or cassette shell. Does it get to the point the deck slows to a stop while ff and rw?

Nando.

analogman64

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
The reel motor that controls the RW and FF is not driven by a belt, and no the deck does not get hot. It's not a huge differerance between cold and warmed up.It rewinds and fast forwards very fast and smooth otherwise...

analogman64

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
No the deck never slows down to the point it stops.I notice it more with tapes that have not been played for awhile.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
The reel motor that controls the RW and FF is not driven by a belt, and no the deck does not get hot. It's not a huge differerance between cold and warmed up.It rewinds and fast forwards very fast and smooth otherwise...
Could just be natural age in the drive circuitry then.
If it's smooth and only slight, I wouldn't worry about it.

I've seen decks do this before after sitting around for ions
and then it goes away. Some tapes ... especially some esoteric metals -
have really tight construction that can tax a mechanism. If you ever
stumble upon a used MA-XG Fermo, Sony Metal Master or Maxell Vertex,
those can be used to demonstrate a tired deck and/or one with wearable
coupling components that need attention.

What's your deck again ?

Last edited:

analogman64

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
It's a Carver TD-1700 3 Head Closed loop dual capstan.What I have read is this deck is actually built by Aiwa and it's a 1990 model.I boughtthis deck off ebay and the seller said that all new belts were installed.There is not a scratch on this deck and the remote looks like it has never been touched.Even the Manual was still in the original plastic bag.I have had the deck for about 2 months now. Play/record work perfect..

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Ideally, when the deck was new or just recently serviced to factory-fresh it could probably ff and rw stubborn tapes much faster. But, our machines are getting older and cassettes that have begun to bind become harder to motivate. About the only time I ff and rw a tape these days is to check a track after a recording or to loosen an NOS tape pack before recording to it. Some of the older pre-recorded tapes of the 70's in the white shells are notorious for binding.

Nando.

orange

Tagline
No the deck never slows down to the point it stops.I notice it more with tapes that have not been played for awhile.
Try taking a pencil (the hexagonal kind of course) and wind the tape back and forth to see if you can free up the tape pack. It's possible that the shell has shrunk a little or the liner/hub drags after a long time or temperature changes over the years.

Have you found a new tape or let some tapes sit in a warm spot for a little while first? Have you lubricated the deck recently?

analogman64

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
This deck is totally silent in play mode.When it's FF and RW'ding fast you can barely hear it, it's that quiet and smooth.No I have'nt lubed anything . I have not needed to.

orange

Tagline
The Aiwa AD-F780 is the same deck as AD-F880, except the 880 has a remote control. This is what I gather is what your Carver is based on, the 880, which is featured in the manuals library of hifiengine.com

You must be a member to download, it is something I and several others would highly recommend as well as their sister vinylengine.

I would still pull the lid and watch it closely after it's sat a few hours or overnight. I would move it nearer to a heating source (like closer to the heat duct) to keep it warm to test a theory about heat being a factor.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
oh HELL YEAH, Doug...I hear that loud and clear.

derek92994

Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
I have several decks where the ff/few idler tyre is slightly worn and they only start gripping properly after being warmed up for a bit. There may be some slippage when yours is cold. I have also seen reel drive motors run slightly faster when warmed up. Very common with old gear.