Dealing with ice storm

Bob Boyer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Good luck with that, Joe. Here's hoping there's a wood or gas fireplace in the mix somewhere.

Edit to add: my mechanic showed me some pix from his trip home to Michigan with his wife and kids during the pre-Christmas shitstorm. Major truck wrecks, one with multiple deaths involved. 16 hours to cross Tennessee and Kentucky and a little bit of Indiana before calling it quits the first day. This stuff is not to be trifled with.

That's the problem and even though my development has all underground electrical wiring, of course the surrounding rural area does not and we are loaded with trees. Living in the Northeast we are dealing with the aftermath of the bugs that ate all the ash trees seven or eight years ago, now they're all falling down on the wires. Pennsylvania power is our provider for electric, and I made a phone call to them back in the summer complaining about an unusual amount of outages. They were supposed to do a lot of trimming after that and they must have because it's been better.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I spliced my internet wire back so I have internet even though the cable is laying on the ground under the tree that fell. Now have to deal with my daughter's house that is out of power. Her town is suffering a townwide power outage.

e30m3mon

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Sorry to hear about this, Joe. We had a slushy mix for most of the day, ultimately changing over to all that nasty heart attack snow. The snowblower chute filled with that “concrete” almost immediately. I had to shovel the driveway the old fashioned way, but the workout was well rewarded with a nice single malt…or rather, a few!

Sorry to hear about this, Joe. We had a slushy mix for most of the day, ultimately changing over to all that nasty heart attack snow. The snowblower chute filled with that “concrete” almost immediately. I had to shovel the driveway the old fashioned way, but the workout was well rewarded with a nice single malt…or rather, a few!
Silicone in the chute. At least 20 or 30% more efficient that way. I do that with heavy wet snow, but you are north of me and you get all that lake affect snow I'm assuming. Full of moisture.

e30m3mon

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
This country is in dire need of some infrastructu

Silicone in the chute. At least 20 or 30% more efficient that way. I do that with heavy wet snow, but you are north of me and you get all that lake affect snow I'm assuming. Full of moisture.
I had that in the chute and on the augers.. driveway alone is 300’, and then there are the parking and decond driveway to my sjop. The silicone does not last long enough. I’m probably not too far north of you.

I had that in the chute and on the augers.. driveway alone is 300’, and then there are the parking and decond driveway to my sjop. The silicone does not last long enough. I’m probably not too far north of you.
yeah with a driveway that long you need to take stock in a silicone company lol. But you're right it works but doesn't last long, my driveway is only 40 feet long or so.

Last edited:

krellmk

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Are you satisfied with the life you're living
We had to cancelled our road trip from Brooklyn to Fort Worth TX/Tempe AZ and Tampa last month cause of weather issue

We had to cancelled our road trip from Brooklyn to Fort Worth TX/Tempe AZ and Tampa last month cause of weather issue
it's going across 80 into Ohio that's really treacherous, Lake affect snow from Lake Erie every night. I went up to Detroit one time, swung around to go on the other side of Lake Erie and I couldn't get home when I came back, I had to turn around every time. Salt trucks lined up on route 80 like soldiers. Scary when you see a big rig jackknife.