dbx 1BX III

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Got it a few minutes ago and swapped it into the place where the ADC DSS100 resided. Wow, I think it stays. A few more features over the ADC. I would recommend one of these to anyone for dynamic recovery of various sources. The only thing it can't compete with the ADS is the subharmonic boost which shakes your heart in your chest should you choose to avail yourself the experience. The dbx is a nice little "extravagance" that can make a already killer system sound even better when used correctly

I think the ADC will take on garage system duties until I go to a multiamp setup in the future w/ some monster subs when I finally have my own WOPL1000. I am excited with what the future holds for my ever-evolving system

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Ron: It's good to see your dbx 1BX already patched into your system. If you had one of those dbx route selectors, like a dbx 200 or 400, you could have both sound processors available at the same time. I thought the ADC DS-100 was strictly a sub harmonic processor, and it didn't alter any of the other signal frequencies other than the lowest? That's quite different than what the dbx 1BX does.

Nando.

Northwinds

Tagline
Ron: It's good to see your dbx 1BX already patched into your system. If you had one of those dbx route selectors, like a dbx 200 or 400, you could have both sound processors available at the same time. I thought the ADC DS-100 was strictly a sub harmonic processor, and it didn't alter any of the other signal frequencies other than the lowest? That's quite different than what the dbx 1BX does.

Nando.
Yep, that's all the ADC does Nando. I will look into a routing box though, it would be nice to run everything but I am also trying to balance their use. I hate overly processed sound but home environments usually need help since none of us normally live in an acoustically perfect environment. I have to deal with reflections off the hardwood floors, furniture sucking up frequencies, popcorn stucco ceilings etc... My speakers are not in the most ideal position either but Deb and I are working on that so she is happy with how everything looks with everything else. Now she tells me I can add another huge set of speakers but they will have to wait until a 1000B is in the house

If it was my choice (and could afford them), I would get a set of the huge bass cannons they use at Mohegan Sun. The bass will put dents in car bodies LOL

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Staff member
Ron: You have got the OK to supplement your system with even larger speakers?! Is there a fast-approaching end to civilization as the earth is struck by an X-class solar flare? Now, that you have that agreement in the public domain do a print screen of this page and have Deb sign it.

I know there are plenty of audiophile purists out there who feel any element of sound processing is akin to touching up DaVinci's Mona Lisa - it just isn't done. I am about to add even more options for sound processing. I don't live for any of the sonic purists' credo - I want what sounds best to me. And guess what - in most cases, many members who have received my mix tapes wouldn't have a clue I had indulged in any sound processing during the recording process.

You have had a good - no excellent - collection of vinyl throughout the years. You know there are many LPs that just didn't come out as well-mastered as others. The same goes for CD. So, that's where you, the holder of that LP or whatever format, gets to play music engineer and do it even better.

Get yourself a route selector and that will give you flexibility to experiment with a variety of neat processors.

Nando.

Northwinds

Tagline
LOL

You want an admission that purists would have apoplexy over? I think the best damn processing unit anybody can add to their system is a BBE Sonic Maximizer. I dig the dbx though but fully intend to track down a 3BX after I get my Pioneer SPEC preamp squared away, still waiting to hear from Lee about one. If I see a BBE on the way, I may snag it clandestinely :laughing5:

Elite-ist

Staff member
I have two BBE Sonic Maximizers. The first one I purchased, and is presently slotted into my sytem, is an older model, a 1002:

The second one is one I bought brand new a few years ago, an 882i:

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Dave: It's hard to tell, now, since I haven't used my 882i for some time. The reason I use the older 1002 is that it has conventional RCA jacks, and it matched my other dbx black components, while the pro-use 882i has XLR and 1/4" stereo phone jacks and I had to use adapter cables to go from 1/4" to RCA stereo. But, the processing sound is quite evident in both. I have had to use it in cases where the original source material was lacking. For instance, I have some Gov't Mule live recordings off their band's sound board that needed help. I then recorded those tracks onto MiniDisc as a Master. In fact, I needed a bit of equalizer and the dbx 3BX in conjunction with the BBE to get the right sound onto the Master.

Nando.

premiumplus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Stuck in the 70's
I used an old BBE back in the early 90's in my guitar amp rig. It really makes a cool difference, and I liked it. But I got to the point in my rig that it was just a royal pain to carry all the stuff around to make music. So I started downsizing and right now I really dig a simple rig, guitar to cable to amplifier. Last week I traded a guy one of my old amps for a 2010 Gibson ES-335 in satin cherry...and I'm playing that through a 1957 Fender Deluxe 5E3 that I built a few years ago. It's the same rig that Larry Carlton used to record the solos in Steely Dan's "Kid Charlemagne" and "Don't Take Me Alive". Real cool tone...Now I just need about another 50 years of practice to get my chops up to speed. :iconbiggrin:

Northwinds

Tagline
The BBE in a guitar rack is mandatory. A lot of cabs have weird resonances the BBE can correct. They excel with 25w Celestian greenbacks and V30s