David Crosby Passed Today

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
David, I didn't read your last book YET.... RIP man.

Seen CSN a few times. He was a very talented MoFo. When my oldest sister was moving out, she handed me her copy of their self titled first album and it (In Vinyl, Cassette, CD etc..) has been in my collection ever since. If anybody wants an interesting read, get his book, "Long Time Gone", he managed to live through a LOT of self punishment.

Vintage 700b

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Fabricator
David, I didn't read your last book YET.... RIP man.

Seen CSN a few times. He was a very talented MoFo. When my oldest sister was moving out, she handed me her copy of their self titled first album and it (In Vinyl, Cassette, CD etc..) has been in my collection ever since. If anybody wants an interesting read, get his book, "Long Time Gone", he managed to live through a LOT of self punishment.
His life was not an easy one,, amazing trail that he left behind.
There will never be another group that harmonized like CSN, vocally and musically.
I bought that first album in 1969 and it was well documented that Dallas Taylor who played drums on the album was looking out the back door.
Later the urban legend had it that the person was Niel Young.....not correct. An incredible album, great soundstage, blew me away from day 1.

CSN 1.jpg CSN-Album-Back-Cover.jpg

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
There were a fair amount of rockers who passed in the last year, Meatloaf, Rick Anderson (Tubes), Kim Simmonds (Savoy Brown), Christine McVie, Garry Roberts (Boomtown Rats), Dan McCafferty/Manny Charlton (Nazareth), Jerry Lee Lewis (too many Telethons), John Hartman (Doobie Bro's), Taylor Hawkins, Ian McDonald (King Crimson/Foreigner), Willie Leacox (America), Michael Nesmith (Monkees oops, 2021) and a slew of other no less important but lesser known musicians. With Jeff Beck and David Crosby topping the list, the world of music is at a great loss.

Last edited:

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
In the late 60's & early 70's, my taste in music did not include CSN or CSNY. I could only listen to AM radio back then and I hated Marakesh Express with a passion which of course was played way too many times. And then came Deja Vu and the overplayed singles were lame, lame, lame as far as I was concerned.

I can also add that CSN/CSNY jukebox records were overplayed in the bars I went to in those days. Green Eyed Lady by Sugarloaf and Little Green Bag by George Baker were overplayed as well but for some reason I liked those tunes.

No denying David Crosby was an influential musician and he may have broken ground in that trade but he was not involved in anything after The Byrds that turned my crank. And on a personal level, according to the press, he was a bit of jerk.

What rings true for me about a lot of the musicians who kicked in the last year or two, is that they were not much older than I am. So I pay attention because that old mortality flag keeps waving and waving, getting closer and closer.

Despite their popularity, I was not motivated to buy any CSN or CSNY albums when they were released. There are two or three in my possession now but only because they were cheap (used) and I felt a bit of nostalgia when I saw them. But I do not believe I spun any.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
In the late 60's & early 70's, my taste in music did not include CSN or CSNY. I could only listen to AM radio back then and I hated Marakesh Express with a passion which of course was played way too many times. And then came Deja Vu and the overplayed singles were lame, lame, lame as far as I was concerned.

I can also add that CSN/CSNY jukebox records were overplayed in the bars I went to in those days. Green Eyed Lady by Sugarloaf and Little Green Bag by George Baker were overplayed as well but for some reason I liked those tunes.

No denying David Crosby was an influential musician and he may have broken ground in that trade but he was not involved in anything after The Byrds that turned my crank. And on a personal level, according to the press, he was a bit of jerk.

What rings true for me about a lot of the musicians who kicked in the last year or two, is that they were not much older than I am. So I pay attention because that old mortality flag keeps waving and waving, getting closer and closer.

Despite their popularity, I was not motivated to buy any CSN or CSNY albums when they were released. There are two or three in my possession now but only because they were cheap (used) and I felt a bit of nostalgia when I saw them. But I do not believe I spun any.

From their second or third outing which was WoodStick, they had millions of fans and still do. Not everybody's cup-o-tea but you cant argue with selling a bazillion albums and touring for the better part of 50 years. Over played means POPULAR.... Just like the Stones, Zepplin etc.... They ALL got over played but they were very popular.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Suite Judy Blue Eyes got me out of more than one jam trying to back-time to the top of the hour on the radio. CSN and yes, CSNY were true super groups and David Crosby was an amazing musician who contributed as much as any to their successes. Gonna miss knowing he is walking among us.

RIP

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
I drove up to Toronto in 1974 with a 'friend' in my new 73 Ford van to see CSN&Y . Along with the Band with Robbie Robertson & also 14379811_1207356836000965_3301384031361417078_o.jpg Jesse Colin Young. We drove up clean, but soon scored a sack. I told my 'pal' to toss any leftovers for the trip home. He lied & I lost my van, along with my butt virginity at the Windsor crossing.
I just found this picture tonight. I may very well be in it, as we were sitting right there:

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
From their second or third outing which was WoodStick, they had millions of fans and still do. Not everybody's cup-o-tea but you cant argue with selling a bazillion albums and touring for the better part of 50 years. Over played means POPULAR.... Just like the Stones, Zepplin etc.... They ALL got over played but they were very popular.
True 'nuff.

My peer group back then were not into polite, introspective tunes. Loud and aggressive was where it was at for us - mostly UK bands. Maybe like 75% UK vs 25% North American. But the consensus was not unanimous. I for one, was into Slade but no one I hung with liked them.