Custom made wood cases, new source?

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Nice but I'd rather re-veneer mine so at least the grain is continuous. some of those $300 cases look lame with mismatched lumber. Cheaper too when you re-veneer.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
He does match the grain. He cuts top and sides from the same piece, so it is continuous around the box. He cuts them a bit farther apart so it’s not perfect.

But it never would be because even with a thin kerf between them (the old way of doing it) it won’t be perfect. If you cut your veneer to exact size with a razor you can make the corners better, but you risk bad edges with zero stock for cleanup of those seams.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
He does match the grain. He cuts top and sides from the same piece, so it is continuous around the box. He cuts them a bit farther apart so it’s not perfect.

But it never would be because even with a thin kerf between them (the old way of doing it) it won’t be perfect. If you cut your veneer to exact size with a razor you can make the corners better, but you risk bad edges with zero stock for cleanup of those seams.

Sorry Jim, but if you call this grain matching, I'll loan you my glasses

Sansuicover.jpg

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Man, Ya shoulda been here yesterday
No offense to the guy but yep not really the greatest bit of woodwork. Nothing wrong using veneers on this kind of stuff. Nice looking job on what I believe is a Big Kenny WOPL Sniffer. Better than when it came out of the factory.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
The Sansui is one piece (zoom in and the figure crosses the sap/heart wood lines); I don’t know what’s going on with the Marantz. Maybe he makes curved cuts and buts them? It’s not traditional “butcher block” glue up.

He’s not picking high grade pieces that’s for sure. Some like the color shift between heart and sap wood. But that piece has that, plus knots... grade B stock I guess.

A and higher grade has more uniform color and more uniform figuring. The AAA is reserved for guitar tops.

Even the flooring guy would cull out boards like that as unsuitable to walk on.