Carver TL-3100 with a silver face!

Tagline
---
So, I removed the metal face off of my Carver TL-3100 and sanded it until all of the anthricite coating was gone. It now has a beautiful, lovely silver face... which still doesn't match my Phase Linear Series II gear. It's too silver! My PL gear has a yellow tint to it, and it appears to be clear-coated, or have some kind of anodized finish. I'd really like this CD player to match the rest of the PL gear... thoughts how I can accomplish this?

Charles.

Tagline
---
Here are pics. You can see it's quite a different shade. Still better than the original dark blueish gray, but it doesn't match. (This is temporary location in the rack)

IMG_2034.jpg

IMG_2033.jpg

Charles.

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
If you rescreen the faceplate lettering and clear coat, do you think it will match?

Personally, if I had a stack of serious PL and Carver crap going on like Donkey Kong, I'd be for crankin' that and not caring if the shade matches, myself.

Not all 'silver' Pioneer faces match either. I won't file for a divorce tho'.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Here are pics. You can see it's quite a different shade. Still better than the original dark blueish gray, but it doesn't match. (This is temporary location in the rack)

View attachment 24026

View attachment 24027

Charles.
Wait 40+ years Charles and it will match quite nicely. Much of that comes from the aging of the original anodize dyes over that many years. I have a PL4000 faceplate that has retained its original silver (clear) anodize finish better than the other amplifier faceplates. One of my PL700B faceplates is at the other end of the aging spectrum with the worst yellowing over time. I probably has to do with the quality of the original anodizing and the UV exposure over many years.

Tagline
---
If you rescreen the faceplate lettering and clear coat, do you think it will match?

Personally, if I had a stack of serious PL and Carver crap going on like Donkey Kong, I'd be for crankin' that and not caring if the shade matches, myself.

Not all 'silver' Pioneer faces match either. I won't file for a divorce tho'.
There was no faceplate lettering on the TL-3100, so that's not a problem. I guess it's not a huge deal that it doesn't match, but it would be nice if it did. I want to buy a small can of autmotive clear coat and have it tinted... but lets face it, that's a lot of work and I'm probably just going to use it as-is :)

Ideally it'd be nice to strip the clear from all the PL gear and then shine it up to get rid of the yellowed look, but I'm not willing to lose all the logos and such. Also it was a miserable job to sand off all that anodized coating on the carver, and keep that nice brushed finish. (Although the Phase Linear stuff appears to be painted with clear coat, not anodized, so aircraft aluminum paint stripper should do the trick there)

Charles.