Carver C-500 upgrade to WOPL

grapplesaw

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Got totally sidetracked on this one. I bought a beat up C-500 and started to fix it today. It had been dropped and bent and not working. I stripped down and found the B+ lead had never been soldered on original build. Just wrapped onto lug. There may be more so I thought just start over and go full comp. got version D board looking for a home so here we go.

Chassis repair done

Attachments

Last edited:

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Ok I have searched my documents and missed it somewhere but which resistor has to be changed when using the board with .22 ohm emitter resistors on a 400 setup ??

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Ok I have searched my documents and missed it somewhere but which resistor has to be changed when using the board with .22 ohm emitter resistors on a 400 setup ??
no change needed on a RevD board. You are thinking of the revE board release notes

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Question on Transistors for this unit.

The original has Caver tagged C1000, One channel of the two units I have has MJ15003 in it. I think these are wrong. I found a photo of a early production unit that had MJ15011 in it , which make more sense. I saw one posting that said use MJ15024. So any suggestions any one.

I have a lot of MJ15024 and NEC 2SD555 I could use

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Quite a lot of amps use the 03, not a bad device, just not as good as the 96....

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Question on Transistors for this unit.

The original has Caver tagged C1000, One channel of the two units I have has MJ15003 in it. I think these are wrong. I found a photo of a early production unit that had MJ15011 in it , which make more sense. I saw one posting that said use MJ15024. So any suggestions any one.

I have a lot of MJ15024 and NEC 2SD555 I could use
No way on an MJ15003. These are only 140V devices...the rail to rail is 160V

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Damn, pretty fucking cool that some Carver amps can be WOPL'd now. That opens a whole lot of possibilities for White Oak Audio!!!!

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
So moving along today

new fuses and plunges installed. Made up me DCP board. Has to be made upside down to fit as RCA jacks are on opposite side of chassisc, or inverted bottom to top compared to phase 400.

Attachments

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Damn, pretty fucking cool that some Carver amps can be WOPL'd now. That opens a whole lot of possibilities for White Oak Audio!!!!
Well Ron maybe at least one model. Bob started his new company with the C-4000 preamp. He needed an amp to match so why not clone the 400 with some upgrades. This has a more complicated control board. It imported a high frequency clipper as used in the Dual 500.

Last edited:

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Finished three DCP boards tonight. Two for C-500 one for PL 400. I desoldered the two C-500 IC's and flipped around. That would have been bad if I did not catch it.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Not much time to work on this project but did a little today

added a 6 lug terminate strip and will add a fuse in the meter low voltage line there.

This is unit has four driver and one prescriber on each rail. Rail voltage is 80 volts so may cut back to three drivers like the 400 has.

Going full comp with a rev D board. The second unit will have a rev C board upgraded to close I can get it to a D in full comp config. A few changes hear and there and a hand full parts will do it.

nect job is the backplate convention.

Attachments

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Not much time to work on this project but did a little today

added a 6 lug terminate strip and will add a fuse in the meter low voltage line there.

This is unit has four driver and one prescriber on each rail. Rail voltage is 80 volts so may cut back to three drivers like the 400 has.

Going full comp with a rev D board. The second unit will have a rev C board upgraded to close I can get it to a D in full comp config. A few changes hear and there and a hand full parts will do it.

nect job is the backplate convention.
I have to look into the old phases info. As pictured this early 700 that less drivers than this unit has , which with the new MJ21296/95 setupgoing in the C-500 it is overkill

Attachments

Last edited:

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Installed bridge and 6 lug terminal strip. This was an add on. I am going to do the same for my 400 builds. It has an added 1/2 watt fuse on the meter board supply.

Attachments

Last edited: