Carver C 4000 pre-amp

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
The power supply is kind of a PITA along with the rear amp (which I would deactivate for the sake of a low noise floor, and it's full of obsolete shit) but they sound great. Beefy Bob made some great Pre's. I prefer the C1, or the 4000t but I got the C-4000 nearly as quiet and the numbers were so low you couldn't tell anyway.... The Power supply is rudimentary but doable. I caution you though when dickin with the phono amp board (everything runs through it), if you wanker the selector switch, all bets are off. I've been trying to find a suitable switch but have not had much luck. That switch hangs off the board like a sore thumb and can be broken (you may have seen my post where the dude sent me the board and didn't pack it properly)... It's lays in the junk pile as we speak. Go slow, take lots of pics, and if you have questions, just ask. I bought a 25 pack of the new TI RC4136 opamps and I changed them all out, and Glen has some bypass cap tricks which help get the pre dead silent, which pairs well with a WOPL. Glen has done his share of them and I think he runs one (or 5). he's hoarding all the good shit.... :eek: Oh, the reason I like the C-1 so much is they make a rear plate for it to get rid of the cheesy RCA's they used on most all PL/Carver ... Plastic is for buying shit when you have no cash NOT for building good stereo equip...

Good luck

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Don't worry about the serial numbers. I've done old one's and "Newer" ones. Just go through the manual and follow the service bulletins. Lay them all out and see where you stand. They did some weird shit, and then removed the weird shit. I do have some spare boards if you bet some older ones... Piece O kake.... You could even take your switch off and put it on my board if yours is older.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
We also have put in remote control on - off with remote volume in these. It’s what I am listening to now. The Opa2134 upgrade people talk about is not worth the effort and only should do if you are bored

I have upgraded a couple to have two moving magnet phono inputs. Easier to do this on the higher serial number ones.

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
It's my preamp ! For me the sound is great .
Fortunately it's mechanical based on PL 4000 series II , so no issues with bad contacts and
Rca connectors .
I have made some inprovments :
- Replacement of delay time power amp connectors with banana plugs
- Replacement of one resistor at the input of delay time board not to saturate
the Reticon SAD 4096 IC ( see service manual )
Note :
Carver C 4000 is most complicated preamp ever made , due to the special functions ;
so the set up takes much time .
Ciao
Marco

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
The C4000 rca plugs are fine. I have an excessive number of units with original plugs. Upgrade to gold if you so desire.