Cable capacitance. How low can YOU go?

I can't get any lower than 36 pF/m using diamond-braided 49-strand/8-core non-shielded SPC.
I tried different braid patterns, nore and less cores as well as combinations of SPC/copper but 36.18pF/m is currently the limit.
Anyone made or seen anything that goes lower?
It's become an obsession now, lol.

Full SPC
DSC_0660_1.JPG

SPC/copper
IMG_20240119_200157.jpg

Measured a 1m length of 55pF/m vanDamme Silver Series LoCap55 at 57pF/m, so I know there's potentially a 2pF/m gain to re-claim...if vanDamme are being truthful and if my LCR meter is measuring slightly over.
That 2pF/m potential gain is important to me...or rather my OCD.
Need....to get....under...35pF/m Scotty!
She cannae take any morrrre Captain!!

DSC_0677 Copy_1.JPG

Attachments

I litz braided CAT6 wire (de-stranded) for a tonearm once but never measured it...

Five strands (2l, 2r and ground)
CAT6 is a very underrated cable type for audio imo, especially in twisted-pair and shielded format. Cheap as chips and has an incredibly dark noisefloor. I use it for analogue signal connections for digital source components, SACD players with good on-board DACs etc.

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
I learned the hard way of the value of cat 5 cable. When I did my home network in the late 90's I mistakenly used one wire from one pair and one wire from a different pair. The network cards' LED lit up ok. The network crashed and crashed. My friend stopped by and looked at the install and said "Don, you're an idiot" I correctly relanded the wires and it still works great, 30 years later.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I learned the hard way of the value of cat 5 cable. When I did my home network in the late 90's I mistakenly used one wire from one pair and one wire from a different pair. The network cards' LED lit up ok. The network crashed and crashed. My friend stopped by and looked at the install and said "Don, you're an idiot" I correctly relanded the wires and it still works great, 30 years later.
You learned the value of a pair Don... (here comes Navo)

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
I litz braided CAT6 wire (de-stranded) for a tonearm once but never measured it...

Five strands (2l, 2r and ground)
Never thought of using ethernet cable for tonearm wire…
I used to get tonearm wire sets from “Garage-A-Records” for record changers and old school record players. I think they’re out of business now.

Edit: They’ve been assimilated by turntableneedles.com.

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
It’s not very flexible but a loop or two helps at the gimbal.

I never finished that arm but the litz braid fit the carbon tube snugly enough to provide acoustic damping of the tube.

But I conceived a better arm tube design which changes everything else and never built it.

It’s a novel construction I’ve never seen that is light, stiff and devoid of a single resonant frequency- it would either have several, or none, but no peaking. The carbon tube rings like a steel tube and frequency is controlled by length. Hence the damping. That energy transfers to the wire and could be audible…