Burning CD'S .... HELP !!!

kevin

Forum Veteran and Hillbilly
Somebody knows what my problem here is... I got a 2001 buick with a factory cd player in it. If I go and buy a CD at the store it plays with no problem. IF.. I burn a cd off the computer it WILL NOT play.. Now, am I using the wrong type of CD ???? I know they make alot of different kinds. Somebody line me out on this little problem im having... THANKS

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Are you burning in MP3 mode?? Go into settings on your CD burner and try slowing down the burn speed and set for maximum quality.

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
speakerman1 said:
10 year old CDP may not read CDRs. Some are like that.

Larry
+1 on Larry's assessment. Adding that CDR's with surfaces as close to "silver" stand a better chance. Also make sure that you set up the burn to where it "closes" the disk to where no further tracks or sessions can be written - basically burn it with the goal that once it's done, it's done and you can't make changes to it.

kevin

Ok Then... See, I knew where to get help !!!! I know what all three of ya are talking about. THANKS !! Not sure what mode or speed she is using. Ill find out.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Like Lee said, Make sure you are burning in CD format and not just putting data mp3's on a disc in the data mode.

kevin

OK... Now .. the CD's she burns will play on new stuff. She has a little carry around CD player we bought at K-MART and they play fine on that ! Does that make sence ?

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Yep, so it plays on a new player but not in your car stereo correct? That's a bummer - my wife's car is the same way and that's a 2004 model. I'd say right around that time the car folks got smart and started to manufacture players with upgraded lasers that can read the pits on CDR's of the day.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
kevin said:
OK... Now .. the CD's she burns will play on new stuff. She has a little carry around CD player we bought at K-MART and they play fine on that ! Does that make sence ?

Most of the new portable CD players will play mp3' files off of a disc, but as Jer Said your car cd player may be too old. Try burning the cd's at the slowest speed possible and see if they will work in your car.

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Did you ever figure it out Kevin? Did you try something other than iTunes to burn CD's? Did you make sure you were't burning MP3's? I use Roxio with really good success, although iTunes will work, as long as it is set to butn AAC, or whatever the correct format for regular CD's is...

Just wondered..

They use to sell a music only CD which I had to use with a very early Philips CD burner. They wanted to make sure you had paid royalties. Don't know if that might be the case, but I'll bet you are burning MP3's. I had that problem before..

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
I use an old Adaptec program as I have not had much success with newer software. Be sure and use something with a 'Disk At Once' feature. That turns the laser on and keeps it on until the entire disk is burnt. Without DAO, most systems will have a click or pop at the start and/or end of each song.

Robert

NavLinear

Veteran and General Yakker
Kevin,

If you're still having problems with your recorded discs playing in the car here is a site that may provide a solution:

http://www.americal.com/pg/cd-r-faq.html#9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I copied and pasted #9 below. This information and much more is available on the website referenced above. I now use CD's that I can print labels directly to the CD as I've had problems with paper labels in the past.

(9) What about making CD-Rs for cars and portables?

Here's the scoop on how to create CD-R discs that will have a "fighting chance" to playback flawlessly in your portable and automobile CD players, as well as your home CD stereo system and computer drives...

First, you need to realize that store-bought music CD-ROMs and your home recorded CD-Rs are NOT the same kind of disc, even though they look very much alike, and are playable in the same players.

HERE IS WHY:
-----
Unlike store-bought music CD-ROM discs, your recordable CD-R discs have a special layer that contains a chemical that responds to the heat generated by a CD burner's laser. That's a very short (microsecond long) recording laser blast. It passes up through the bottom, then bounces down off the top silver reflector again almost instantly -- making the plastic even hotter in that area. This heats up the plastic around the laser beam, and creates a tiny bubble. When the disc is played back, the CD player shines a lower powered laser beam up into the discs and scans it. The player's logic chip decodes these little bubbles into beautiful music. This special bottom dye layer's material must be very sensitive to the laser heat in order to produce well defined bubbles for each and every tiny burst the laser makes.

By contrast, the CD-ROM discs you buy in music stores are MECHANICALLY stamped like old-fashioned vinyl LPs used to be. They do NOT contain the heat-sensitive layer like recordable CD-R discs do. Furthermore, since they do not need to be responsive to a heat-generating laser burst like CD-R discs, they use an inexpensive aluminum reflector on top, instead of the much more expensive silver or gold used by recordable CD-R discs.

When you leave your CD-R discs in a hot auto interior or portable CD player in the sun, the heat sensitive layer in the recordable disc responds to the heat microscopically, softening the edges of the bubbles that encode your music data. This process may continue over time, until the disc becomes no longer playable.

If you store CD-R discs in the sun, this process is unfortunately unavoidable. Any disc sensitive enough to a recording burners's laser to get properly "burned" or recorded will also be sensitive enough to an automobile's sun-heated interior to get ruined.

Due to the even MORE sensitive dyes used in high speed CD-Rs (those rated 24X and above), this problem can be even worse. And, most CD-Rs you buy these days are 24X or faster rated, meaning that they are more sensitive than ever to sitting in a sunlight automobile's "oven".

So, CD-ROM discs and CD-R discs are made differently. All CD-R discs will be at least somewhat sensitive to heat and strong UV light, especially if stored for long periods. The least sensitive disc we sell for heat exposure would be the "silver/lt-green" type discs, which use a special phthalocyanine recording layer dye, made to minimize environmental stability problems. However, no type of CD-R can withstand long exposures to extremely hot conditions such as the super-heated interiors of automobiles sitting in the sun.

RECOMMENDATIONS:
-----
* Order CD-R discs featuring the "Improved" light green dye on the bottom recording side. This is the phthalocyanine dye considered most stable and least sensitive to environmental heat and UV light exposure factors. See our Improved Silver CDRs at... click here

* Order the SLOWEST WRITE SPEED RATED CD-R discs that will meet your minimum requirements from the available offerings. Those discs have a tendency to be less heat sensitive. Remember that all discs will PLAY at any speed once they are properly recorded. Our 16X, 24X and 32X are preferred to minimize possible problems with heat and UV light.

* Be sure to use our "no-wobble" CD/DVD labels and apply them with the new Avery Label Tool to make sure they are bubble free and centered properly. This will minimize the possibility of playback errors when the discs are spun at high speeds to today's fast new CD players. See the "no-wobble" labels at... click here

* See Avery's "full face" type CD label applicator took kit at... click here

* Don't store CD-R discs in a closed up auto interior exposed to the sun, when possible.

* Also, when you have to leave them in the car at all, try to protect them inside a well padded and insulated CD case with a zipper closure, and NOT inside the in-dash or trunk-mounted CD player.

* Especially avoid leaving the CD-R discs in direct sunlight, such as on the dashboard or on the seats. Under the seats is better.

* If possible, roll down a window above a half-inch on each side of the car and use a windshield sun-shade to help lower the interior temperature.

That's our best advice for cars and portable CD-R burning... We hope this information helps you create CDs strong enough to have a fighting chance in today's popular in-dash and portable CD players, and that you will enjoy your CD-R discs for years to come!

soundude

Journeyman
Kev, the cd's won't play in 2001 to 2004, cdr's werent recognized for car and some home audio cd players till around 2006..I have 2005 caravan and 06 silverado, they play but my friend has 05 buick and won't play also friend has 03 chevy and didn't play....try to finalize the cd, if you see during the burn, create a lead in at the begining and a lead out at the end it of the burn it might work, lead in writes disk info and type of media the cd has on it so the player knows how to track the cd, the lead out ends the data and confirm the total time plus closes the cd for no more recording known as finializing. also if you have to use option, disk-at-once, doesnt pause the cd or burn between tracks.

kevin

Thanks all of ya.... I say with all this info we should be able to burn something that will play in that thing... lol Thanks again !

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Look for "Audio CDR." The reflectivity of the aluminum layer has a lot to do with playing home-burned discs in older playback machines. I have a 2005 Dakota with the stock CD/AM/FM player, only the "audio" quality discs play.