Bob Carver (Video) at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (published Oct 26, 2017)

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
Bob Carver talks about the following:
1.) Phase Linear 700
2.) How to start an amplifier company
3.) The Phase Linear VI (energy limiter) patent
4.) RCA application note "High Powered Amplifiers Can Be Reliable"
5.) General Motors (GM/Delco) High Voltage Transistors
6.) Transfer Function
7.) Tube Amplifiers vs Transistor Amplifiers
8.) Facsimile Reproduction vs. Believable Reproduction (A Philosophical Point)
9.) Voicing the Amp or Speakers (Sonic Signature)
10.) The Bob Carver Stereophile Challenge
11.) Transfer Function
12.) Line Array Speakers
13.) Clair Brothers & Carver Magnetic Field Power Amplifiers
14.) Etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MBGfeklDmY

Last edited:

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Thanks Ed! I will be watching it shortly :headbang:

...hmmmm starting right off about the mythical coffee can amp :?:

Also, what does that guy mean about an amp that puts up to 2700w, the Class D???

I would like to see this 11" sub that shakes a house and walks across the floor. Never saw one of those yet but find it interesting. Was it powered?

Regarding the Clair Brothers part of the interview, he did not mention the 700 series II, Perry when you pulled them apart, did you see a hiss generator? I think the answer is NO, the magnetic field amps were after Carver left Phase Linear. SO I am wondering is that why so few Clairs PLs were built and Clair just jumped into the Carver Mag amps. I have seen many of the Clair Carver's, Clair switched their logo about then

Good vid, I just wished someone would have asked him about his admantine transformers and pursed the coffee can amp futher LOL

Last edited:

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
Thanks Ed! I will be watching it shortly :headbang:

...hmmmm starting right off about the mythical coffee can amp :?:

Also, what does that guy mean about an amp that puts up to 2700w, the Class D???

I would like to see this 11" sub that shakes a house and walks across the floor. Never saw one of those yet but find it interesting. Was it powered?

Regarding the Clair Brothers part of the interview, he did not mention the 700 series II, Perry when you pulled them apart, did you see a hiss generator? I think the answer is NO, the magnetic field amps were after Carver left Phase Linear. SO I am wondering is that why so few Clairs PLs were built and Clair just jumped into the Carver Mag amps. I have seen many of the Clair Carver's, Clair switched their logo about then

Good vid, I just wished someone would have asked him about his admantine transformers and pursed the coffee can amp further LOL

Ron,

Bob is a good story teller. I also learned a few things I hadn't known before.

The Clair Brothers part of the interview only relates to the Carver magnetic field amps. Bob had left Phase Linear in March 1978 just as the series II products were coming out. So more than likely Bob never dealt with Clair Brothers concerning the 700 series II amps. There was never any hiss generator installed in the Phase Linear/Clair Brothers amplifiers.

The Clair Brothers S4 systems used a variety of different vendors for the amplifiers they supplied in their amp racks. My guess is that there were probably at least 100 - 200 Clair Brothers amps built. Inside some Phase Linear series 2 amplifiers is a sticker with "M.O. Order:, M.O. Qty: and Unit No." I can't remember if any of the Phase Linear'/Clair Brothers amps had any of these stickers in them. Perhaps Perry can remember if the amps he worked on had any stickers in them. He may have also removed some in order to paint the chassis?

Some of the advantages of the Carver amps was: 1.) they used less amp rack space and 2.) weighed less.

There is a Clair Brothers 700B specifications sheet I provided to Perry. NOTE: I can't remember if I posted a copy on the Phoenix forum. I don't recall seeing Bob's name anywhere on the document. There were several other Phase Linear employees names who did appear on the document, however. They are Geo. (George Sheppard production line manager) Gary (Gary Kison? engineering/prototype department employee) and T. Pennington (Terry Pennington engineering department employee).

Ed

Last edited: