Backplane PEM spring holder

jhsellers

New Around These Parts
For use exactly how? Sorry, but I can't picture the utility of these. PEMs have to connect to the collector/case of drivers, right? Will the spring tension do this, so that the insulator isn't crushed? Is that the proper use of the springs?

Thanks,
John

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
For use exactly how? Sorry, but I can't picture the utility of these. PEMs have to connect to the collector/case of drivers, right? Will the spring tension do this, so that the insulator isn't crushed? Is that the proper use of the springs?

Thanks,
John
They are to hold the PEMs in place while you are soldering. An assembly aid is their purpose.

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
By the time you get these installed, I'll have my pair of back planes already soldered.
And mine will be perfectly flat and square to the circuit board. Some people use jigs to make sure their work is true. Others just use Texas windage and "by gosh and by golly". Each person can decide for themselves. For me, I am never in a hurry. I enjoy the journey and appreciate knowing my PEMs are going in perfectly flat. This means Output Transistor Screws are all parallel ensuring TO-3 Case alignment and maximum heat transfer to the heat sinks.