B&W Matrix 805 and 804

braxus

Journeyman
I had a wanted ad out there on Canuck Audio Mart for some time. Just this last month and half, I had two people respond to the ad. One was for the Matrix 805, which is what I was asking for. The other person responded saying he had some 804 speakers for a really good price. So I ended up getting both speakers. I'm selling the CDM1SE speakers I got 4 months ago, but chances are, they won't sell. So I'll end up keeping those too.

The Matrix 805 I have one speaker which sounds like the tweeter is less loud or even rolling off a bit. I have to figure out if there is really an issue, or if its just the music. Could be a tweeter problem or a crossover issue, if there is a problem. I decided to figure that out at a later time.

The real meat and potatoes is the 804. I heard this speaker originally back in around 1995, was impressed with its sound. Warm, makes CDs sound good, and revealing. It didn't quite pass my one song test I heard on these speakers way back in 95, but no speaker has done this properly since then either. I'm wondering if maybe my memory is suspect on this now. I'm running the combo I wanted- YBA amp and Matrix 804. I think I will be keeping these for a long time, unless I come into getting some Diamond 800 series. The room these are in is getting messy and crowded with stuff, so my pictures aren't very good. But here they are. The 805 speakers have been packed away for now.

Attachments

Fishoz

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Always learning!
804's are nice. One of my fav's. Really can't go wrong with any of the 80X series. Just something about them that gets me. Detailed but warm, capable of keeping detail when cranked.

braxus

Journeyman
Coming from a man who has a pair of 808s! Those are so rare, its not funny. Definitely party speakers. I like the sound of the 804s. Something about them that I cannot pinpoint. Warm, smooth, yet revealing. The soundstage is good, but I haven't put that to the test with my own equipment much yet. I know these speakers are capable of that, but it could be my listening position. I might have to sit further back. Bass isn't so pronounced with these, but I haven't tested that much yet either. I still have my sub which I intend on using when I get into my new place. I have heard mixed comments on the Matrix 800 series. Some say they are better then the newer series, some say the opposite. Hard to know. I do know these speakers are very good for the price I paid though. I paid $875 for these. Worth way more then that. My tweeters on these have been replaced as well. Not perfect though, as the cabinet had new paint put on it in one spot, and the grills have some tabs broken off. At least my tweeter grills are intact. And one day I'll have to figure out what is wrong with my 805 speakers.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
I had a pair of 805's for awhile - just another speaker, and not at all tolerant of amp turn-off transients. Sold 'em.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
A dream set of speakers for me are the 805 Sig Red Birds.

To find a pair on the cheap would be nirvana ...

1323217864.jpg

braxus

Journeyman
Not sure what turn off transients are? Would this be power spikes/ brown outs from when the amp is turned off? If so, how did this effect using your speakers?

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
The WOPL cured the thump Laz. Haven't experienced since hooking up Liberty. The 808's thumped on turn off to all other amps hooked up..

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Nice filter on the WOPL...that's why the others thump.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
Not sure what turn off transients are? Would this be power spikes/ brown outs from when the amp is turned off? If so, how did this effect using your speakers?
It's when you turn a power amp or preamp off, and you hear a thump or pop from the speakers. I forgot to turn them off in the proper order (power amp first, them preamp) too many times, and a mid-woofer had to go in for a recone.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
The WOPL cured the thump Laz. Haven't experienced since hooking up Liberty. The 808's thumped on turn off to all other amps hooked up..
The loaner WOPL I had for a while in 2014 did not thump - good manners. None of the amps I currently use do either.

braxus

Journeyman
Interesting. Most amps I've had don't do this. Good thing too.

I listened to the speakers more last night. Nice open sound. Only thing is there is really no bass from these speakers. It is so restrained, that its almost not there. Not used to this. I suppose its supposed to be flat, but honestly there should be some bass present. I'm not concerned, since I have been using a sub with my previous speakers. I brought the sub back upstairs and put it back into the system.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
That's why I sold my Sony NS1000s, flat response monitor type speakers are not for everyone

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Scott: I have just been starting to read up on your 804s. I suppose you already have read the operating manual. Are the woofers 6 1/2 in diameter? Pardon me for being old school, but it seems like that size of woofer wouldn't have the grunt down low, especially, in a large enclosure, unless the cabinet is partitioned and baffled.

Nando.

braxus

Journeyman
Hi Nando,

Yes they are 6.5 in woofers on the 804 speakers. Thing is I have bookshelf speakers with the same size woofer that can actually produce some bass, and being the 804 is a full size speaker, was expecting at least similar results. When I heard these 804 speakers back in 95, I don't recall listening to anything with bass, so I probably didn't notice these speakers don't have full bass. That said my sub is back in place to give that low end grunt. I had to move it to the other side of my system to fit it in the room, so bass isn't as pronounced as before with the sub either. I have to recalibrate it to hear it more. I love the sound of these speakers otherwise and not unhappy with my purchase. Just going to take a little work to get it all dialed in to the way I like it.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Scott: I am curious as to which song you used for your song test for auditioning speakers. I'm thinking it might have been either a movie sound track or an orchestra number. Good to hear you've found a pair of speakers that suit your listening pleasure.

Nando.

braxus

Journeyman
Nando- the song I use is something I heard on these very speakers the first time back in 95. It is Shostakovich's Symphony #9- Part 1 from a Telarc recording made in the 90s. That particular song has a horned instrument, that when it blows, it blows in mid air in the room. No other speaker/amp combo was able to put the horn in the room, but usually sounded like it was coming from the speakers. That said it didn't quite do it this time, even though I'm using the same combo of Matrix 804 and YBA amp. That is why I'm wondering if my memory of that time is a bit fuzzy, because I haven't been able to produce that sound since then quite the way I remembered it. Even the newer 804D speakers running a Bryston amp couldn't do it.

orange

Tagline
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6Je8_7jAgA This it?

Yes, the piccolos do seem to move out in front, even in mono. I don't know about the horns, perhaps it's the way the particular recording favors the level of one over another.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
But shame on him for SAMPLING the William Tell Overture!