B&K PRO 5 Preamp

VSAT88

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Looking for suggestions on a cheap but very well made Pre. that I would like to restore and possibly upgrade. I know for a fact that I would like to put an ALPs or other recommended volume pot in as the on in there does not track well and I can easily see that it is a pretty cheap one. I was thinking of all new electrolytics Panasonic FC series and a bit bigger uF and voltage PS caps. Keep in mind this would be a backup unit for my C2 just in case. Let it roll with what you think. This one has the upgraded gold plated RCA/Phono jacks already and is extremely well built. I do not use the tone controls and it has a switch to bypass them already. It also has a direct bypass switch. I was also thinking of putting a new balance pot in. Here are some images. Thanks> By the way if this is not the place for stuff like this tell me where to go, literally. 20171217_144041.jpg 20171217_143435.jpg 20171217_143443.jpg 20171217_143448.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Looking for suggestions on a cheap but very well made Pre. that I would like to restore and possibly upgrade. I know for a fact that I would like to put an ALPs or other recommended volume pot in as the on in there does not track well and I can easily see that it is a pretty cheap one. I was thinking of all new electrolytics Panasonic FC series and a bit bigger uF and voltage PS caps. Keep in mind this would be a backup unit for my C2 just in case. Let it roll with what you think. This one has the upgraded gold plated RCA/Phono jacks already and is extremely well built. I do not use the tone controls and it has a switch to bypass them already. It also has a direct bypass switch. I was also thinking of putting a new balance pot in. Here are some images. Thanks> By the way if this is not the place for stuff like this tell me where to go, literally. View attachment 30986 View attachment 30987 View attachment 30988 View attachment 30989
'Cheap but very well made' seem to be at odds with each other...

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Does nobody like to save up and when they have the cash, buy something worth a squirt? Just adding a volume and balance pot is a bit of work if done correctly. If the engineering has been done, it's worth saving and buying. Just kludging some shit together may not be the best idea (especially for a preamp). Sell some junk thats wasting space in the closet, sell your scratched Janet Jackson 45's, its easy to raise cash for something decent to work with. Just because it's electronic, and sitting on the curb, don't mean you HAVE to bring it home and save it.

Huh????

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Tried to call you earlier Perry, you out there burning a cactus bonfire
?

eh, maybe try you tomorrow, hitting the sack now

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Well, I said if this is not the place for stuff like this to tell me where to go.. literally... guess I got my answer !

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
We are kings of the "Thread Crappers" this is as good a place as any. You did not get an answer, you got a question. I still don't think you can build a silk purse out of a squirrel scotum. Save up, you wont be sorry.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Tried to call you earlier Perry, you out there burning a cactus bonfire
?

eh, maybe try you tomorrow, hitting the sack now

Hey Ron, I'll be out in the shop in a couple hours, it's cold as hell here in southern Arizona. Got to 19 degrees last night. Waiting to warm up.... gotta box a 4000t i just finished. I put a remote volume in it, recapped the electro's, and replaced some of the RC4136's with a bunch of Brown Dogs with 2134's.... also chase cracked solder joints, and a faulty IC socket.... kept me busy. Plus, i sold the dodge and scored an 85 C10. Being retired, i dont need a truck payment. And, I'm saving for a squirrel scrotum.....

Huh?

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Hell naw, not a squirrel scrotum! You guys are right, cant polish a turd. Fact...I did get and answer. Sell the B&K as it works fine and keep my Basic C2 that works perfectly and has been completely rebuilt like new (internally anyhow). Find and buy an American made preamp which is what I am shooting for anyhow. I have all American made components except the preamp now so, that's whats next.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
The C2 is a great pre.... plus, the Acurus RL-11/R-10 is very well liked around here and is worth saving for. Ive had a couple and would run another one day (after I sell this nice 4000t of which i have a couple). Start with a great pre and yer set... no sense in monkeying around right?

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
The C2 is a great pre.... plus, the Acurus RL-11/R-10 is very well liked around here and is worth saving for. Ive had a couple and would run another one day (after I sell this nice 4000t of which i have a couple). Start with a great pre and yer set... no sense in monkeying around right?
I resemble that remark !!
Looking at a Sumo an APT and a Acurus as well. We will see.

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
If you need or like a lot of inputs, an original series I Apt Holman is hard to beat. And if turntables are your thing, it was created with them in mind. Unfortunately the stock relays calve and both those I own came into my possession with a dead channel but replacing the relays and all 41 electrolytics did the trick. If you're considering one, I hope any you encounter have been refurbed or that those deficiencies have been taken into consideration with regards to asking price. Some think they are a bit butt ugly, but I don't mind, I kind of like a quasi "military" look. The one I have hooked up now is a battle scarred early one but it fits in well with the rest of my stuff.

I know a Sumo from years ago - Athena I think. It was in one of the sound rooms for a while at a store I worked at. I remember the consensus was that it did better with CD than it did vinyl.

Acurus has been well endorsed here so it's desirability goes without saying. I have not heard one so cannot comment but I need more jacks and would want a built in phono section - but that's just me.

finebar4

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I have the Acurus based on what I gleaned here about them. It is a permanent fixture.....well
worth saving for!!!

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I use a APT Holman in the garage system, pretty kickass preamp

EDIT: I have had a couple of the C2's, they are very good so not sure your going to get better bang for the buck cost wise unless you get extremely lucky

Last edited:

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
There is a Acurus LS-11 preamp on USAudiomart....posted a couple days ago in Toronto. Asking $300 CAD (about $235 US, no affiliation here). Non remote model.

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649401645-acurus-ls11/
I believe we have struck a deal. Spoke with the owner and we seem to have found quite agreeable terms. He is going to let me know a total tomorrow so I think we are on. Either way, thank you for sharing this with me.