Automatic Test Sets

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
I know there are a few of you out there with Audio Analyzers whether it be Audio Precision, Prizm, HP, R&S, and with the price of the newer models with USB capabilities being so expensive we have to run the older stuff that has Parallel Printer Ports. The Prism dScope III I was running was overkill for what I do so downsizing to a cheaper unit made sense. Besides, since I retired, having a $3000 test set was crazy. The ONE THING I did love about the unit was the USB print feature but now the unit I picked up has only a Parallel port for printing.

Question..... What methods do you use to print and what would you LIKE to use if you would change. I.E. USB type B to Parallel (to run a newer style printer?) would you just go get a Parallel Printer? Do you like the results of your current printer? Reason being, I need to continue to print the results of testing my WOPL builds (I have a lot of test results) and I want to know the best method to use. I have a newer printer in my shop with a USB type B (looks like a D) on the back of my printer and would like to use it if possible. Will an adaptor cable work with it? Here is the Audio Precision ATS-1 I picked up on the cheap and it works great (Passes Self-Test), has a recent Calibration done on it and it is in Very Nice shape.

IMG_20180412_171104986ATS-1 Test Set.jpg

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I'll probably scan the print results and save them to the computer for future reference (and continue to send test results with completed WOPL's).

I just found this so maybe a parallel printer is all I can do.

[FONT=&amp]Test summary[/FONT][FONT="proxima_novaregular"][/FONT]
  • Current model P1s and ATS-1s printed successfully.
  • Older models (the discontinued original P1 & ATS-1, and P1 Plus) were not compatible with the Lpt2USB adapter and were unable to print.

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
With the ATS you are limited to an older Laserjet style printer. I bought a refurbed HP Laserjet 2300 for a couple hundred. The toner packages are 106.00 but I've yet to use up the first one and it's going on its 5th year. I tried the "smart" printer cables that supposedly would let you use a newer USB style printer, but that was a wasted 100.00

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
With the ATS you are limited to an older Laserjet style printer. I bought a refurbed HP Laserjet 2300 for a couple hundred. The toner packages are 106.00 but I've yet to use up the first one and it's going on its 5th year. I tried the "smart" printer cables that supposedly would let you use a newer USB style printer, but that was a wasted 100.00
IS that a parallel printer you are talking about?

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Lee, There are no pics of the back of these printers. How do I know it has the DB25 and not the Centronix 36 pin? Some 2300's say USB and Parallel... How do you know it will be the one that works? (DB25)

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Perry, I can't remember right now, I don't know if I specified that or ordered the cable separately. I do remember calling them and talking to them about it and explaining what I was trying to do...

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I think I can use a cable like this to run the printer I'm looking at. The printer has parallel input but it has the 36 pin.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6Ft-IEEE-1...466236?hash=item2a7086263c:g:~4kAAOSwjVVVilSd
The LPT1 printer cable from a PC was the 25Pin DSUB to 36 pin Centronics connector as a standard Perry. This looks like the one that was used for this purpose.

Most all parallel port printers have the Centronics connector on them. Does the AP have the 25P DSUB?