Audio Technica AT440MLa

Pure_Brew

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Coffee filters
Ah well I had money burning a whole in my pocket at Audio Lab in Cambridge, MA today. They had this cart an being curious and hungry for more, I picked it up along with a new technics headshell, audioquest antistatic brush and Last record cleaner.

A bit pricey but I'm glad I got it. I keep finding my attention drawn to recordings looking up, as I keep hearing things I haven't heard before, truly amazing. Guitar and bass fingering, reed spit lol.

I noticed that the cartridge body doesn't give off sound like the old AT70 did. I could tell the music playing from across the room with the volume all the way down.

There is of course a chance that some of this could be attributed to peaking at very high frequency response, but that I don't know.

It does seem a bit brighter then my older cart, but not so much in a bad way. Symbols and brushes seem much more real, not exaggerated, and reverberations that I can pick out usually easier with a nice set of headphones, seemed to have returned here.

All that and I'm only on record #2. Worth $200? Sure why not. A Turntable (Technics SL-23) & Cartridge setup for $300 that can do what this does? Absolutely.

Things like, blacker background, lower surface noise, better imaging are a part of the total experience.

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
I'm also using a tube amp at the moment. My mood could change but it seems complimentary to this Snell CIV/Jolida 502/Denon DAP2500 combo. Nice bass control and depth too I should add.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I didn't think you would be disappointed with that cartridge, Joe. Nice to hear you indulged yourself at Audio Lab. Did you also drop off your Pioneer SX-1280 there?

Nando.

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
Yup I brought it in and I really hate driving into Boston. Lol. But Audio lab is a cool little hole in the wall and worth a visit. When I go back, I should snap a pick of this huge glass jar sitting on the front counter. Must be 1000's of old cartridge needles in it that they replaced over the years. Looks like candy lol.

I've got Frank spinning right now. Pretty amazing vocals. This really looks like a push past my CD playback.

On a side note, one thing that's really a drag is when I find a decent album at the thrift shops, sometimes I can't tell if all the noise is from dirt or not. Then I try cleaning the he'll out of them, only to find that a bad needle was probably used. Either that or the record was played dirty and got screwed up. However, sometimes I think there is still dirt in there, lurking. I've had very good luck at the local record store, but the records are almost never less then $10 a pop.

Anyway, you did give some feedback on the cart and thanks for that. It seems slightly bright, and that's pretty much on point with the reviews I saw at needle-doctor. Not bright on vocals though, which is interesting. Everything I've ever listened to that is bright always screws up the vocals too, which sucks. But this just sounds great. Makes me want to buy some vocalist albums.

It'll be interesting when I try some different electronics ahead of it all.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Joe: I caught your last post in your Pioneer SX-1280 thread after I posed the question here, but I suspected that's why you were at Audio Lab in the first place.

My next investment for dealing with record cleaning will probably be a VPI 16.5. I clean my records manually, but the machine would be much better than a hand job (stuwee-inspired).

The strength of the Shure M95ED mm cartridge on my Mitsubishi LT-30 is in the mid range frequencies. Stepping up to a moving coil cartridge would perk things up, too.

I'm always on the hunt for good quality pre-owned vinyl. We have a few good record stores which sell records in great condition from $5 and up. All depends on the rarity of the record.

I'm still learning what it takes to improve the overall satisfaction from listening to a fine LP without going too extravagant. Post any of your findings, because I usually sit back and wait until someone else experiments before I boldly go where someone's been before.

Nando.

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
Thanks Nando. A machine would be nice but I probably won't go that route anytime soon. ( nice joke by the way ) :rr:

I wouldn't suggest running out and getting this cart if your trying to steer clear of brightness. Not too bad with tubes. I still might try the Shure too.

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
You gotta have this record cleaning device..It is absolutely wonderful. Records that I thought were ruined, come put playing almost like new. There is so much dirt and grime in the solution that it is amazing they played before cleaning at all. After cleaning a batch of records there is visible dirt in the bottom of the cleaning solution and distilled water.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Spin-Clean-Record-Washer

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
Thanks, that bath might be just the thing, Larry also recommended.

I'm still liking the cartridge after a lot more listening. It's possible that it might be just about right. It's more of an issue with the Snell CIV's in their forward presentation. I've been trying to "dumb down" the sound of them for so long, I forgot what I was missing. And with this new cartridge, I'm realizing things I didn't know were missing.

I'm going to hold off a bit on other purchases until I find out what the receiver in service will set me back.

But I'll likely pick up a few more records...

Cheers,
Joe

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
Just as an update on tracking.

This has been an excellent tracker and I gave it a worst case test this AM. I have DG Horowitz in Moscow LP with grooves that go closer to the record label then any other LP I have, I believe. While it did a MUCH better job then all other setups I've had, I still had some inner groove issues there. The only way to be 100% sure that it's the cartridge, would be to find a brand new copy of the record and try again. I believe the record could be damaged there now as the distortion was outrageous on everything else and who knows what the original owner did to it too.

Otherwise it has performed well.

I'd like a force gauge before I try to adjust this further. I thought the Ortophon level looked good for a mere $14 at needledoctor. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Joe

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
I think I can still get digital scales for around 15.00. That is what I use. I sent one to someone. It is very small and just perfect. If you want one let me know.

Larry

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
I need to plug in another thumbs up on this cartridge today. I almost tossed a Peter Gabriel album "so" in the trash today as it was virtually unplayable. It was either played really dirty or with a shot needle. However, based on the construction of the stylus, it reaches deeper into the groove then all the rest I've had.

To my surprise, I got by I'd say about 95% of the damage and this is now totally listenable. A bigger investment, but I'd say this more of a door opener on used records that may have not been well played.

Cheers

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
I'm trying my own cleaner in the next thread, but I still need a scale. And to get nikko pics and etc lol

Elite-ist

Staff member
Pure_Brew said:
I need to plug in another thumbs up on this cartridge today. I almost tossed a Peter Gabriel album "so" in the trash today as it was virtually unplayable. It was either played really dirty or with a shot needle. However, based on the construction of the stylus, it reaches deeper into the groove then all the rest I've had.

To my surprise, I got by I'd say about 95% of the damage and this is now totally listenable. A bigger investment, but I'd say this more of a door opener on used records that may have not been well played.

Cheers
Now, that I hadn't expected. I have a few used records which I love to listen to, but have too much residual noise on the quieter passages. I may try a new AT440MLa cartridge on a separate headshell in the future.

Nando.

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
Is there a way to actually try cartridges out? Seems unlikely. I guess if you decide to get one at some point, youll likely shop price unlike me. I paid $200 for it and I see that they are out there for less. However, the instant gratification of buying at a shop was nice. I also like to give brick-n- mortar businesses support as it's tough to keep doors open. Hope they can fix my receiver, haven't heard back but they said I wouldn't get a call for a few weeks.

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
As some of you know I reported a hum issue with this cartridge. I did some poking around and it might actually be defective. There was a report from someone with the same issue, sent it into AT and the new one had no such issue. I did contact AT but it was Friday night. It'll be interesting to see what they have to say. My old AT70 has no such issue.