Any glue suggestions for broken plastic parts of CD player disc clamp assembly?

62vauxhall

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
For less than $10, I took home today a NAD 5100 CD player knowing it had a problem. The tray would not open. Took the gamble that there was a disc stuck inside or maybe needed a belt. Turned out to be broken plastic anchors for the disc clamp assembly's pivot pins. I gave the player a shake while upside down and the broken parts dropped out.

Whenever I try gluing plastic, I always seem to pick the wrong adhesive. Most often, there is only one shot at a successful join because residue from a bad one usually precludes a second try.

I don't know what kind of plastic it is nor do I know if it even matters. I was hoping someone here can suggest a strong, permanent plastic glue/cement/adhesive that sets quickly, but not instantly, and requires no pressure or clamping during the process.

I wish to glue this

NAD 5100 plastic 1.jpg

Onto this

NAD 5100 plastic 2.jpg

So it will hold this

NAD 5100 plastic 3.jpg

BlazeES

Tagline
---
I've used the 2-part epoxy (syringe style) labeled specially for plastic on many an unknown nylon or plastic composition piece.
If you use it sparingly, apply the mixed compound with a tooth pick and it doesn't hold, you won't make mess of the part once it dries. If it bounds you're golden, if it releases, peeling it away is effortless. Patience is key in applying it. A little goes a long way.

Most stores carry it, but Home Depot is a sure bet.

For less than $10, I took home today a NAD 5100 CD player knowing it had a problem. The tray would not open. Took the gamble that there was a disc stuck inside or maybe needed a belt. Turned out to be broken plastic anchors for the disc clamp assembly's pivot pins. I gave the player a shake while upside down and the broken parts dropped out.

Whenever I try gluing plastic, I always seem to pick the wrong adhesive. Most often, there is only one shot at a successful join because residue from a bad one usually precludes a second try.

I don't know what kind of plastic it is nor do I know if it even matters. I was hoping someone here can suggest a strong, permanent plastic glue/cement/adhesive that sets quickly, but not instantly, and requires no pressure or clamping during the process.

I wish to glue this

View attachment 27421

Onto this

View attachment 27422

So it will hold this

View attachment 27423

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
That broken piece does not really carry any "load", and gluing to me looked like the only option. It's a portion of a larger part that looks like it's been press fit at the factory into a square hole of the metal disc mechanism chassis and I saw no way to remove it.

I tired two part epoxy first but it didn't hold because I think this piece is nylon, therefore slippery. The epoxy residue pulled off no problem so I next used some generic Crazy Glue since it was on hand. Normally the only things I've successfully glued with that stuff have been my fingers but it seems to have worked here and I even got the piece positioned right.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Even a broken clock is right twice a day!! Good Job Gary, glad to see it worked out...

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Crazy Cyno is a good go too for nylon as well. If it's not carrying any load, you should be good shape.

That broken piece does not really carry any "load", and gluing to me looked like the only option. It's a portion of a larger part that looks like it's been press fit at the factory into a square hole of the metal disc mechanism chassis and I saw no way to remove it.

I tired two part epoxy first but it didn't hold because I think this piece is nylon, therefore slippery. The epoxy residue pulled off no problem so I next used some generic Crazy Glue since it was on hand. Normally the only things I've successfully glued with that stuff have been my fingers but it seems to have worked here and I even got the piece positioned right.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Dr. Strangelove...it compliments Ron's avatar very nicely.

Geegz

Journeyman
Tagline
---there is no replacement for displacement
I haven't found much that Gorilla glue doesn't attach to, it's water activated and swells a bit but tends to dry a little pliable and not too brittle....FWIW

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I haven't found much that Gorilla glue doesn't attach to, it's water activated and swells a bit but tends to dry a little pliable and not too brittle....FWIW
It's over rated. It sticks to your hands and some things but not others. It's like a Super Glue on steroids. It sticks to everything but what I need to fix.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
It's over rated. It sticks to your hands and some things but not others. It's like a Super Glue on steroids. It sticks to everything but what I need to fix.
Yep. It's a great craft glue but other applications are hit or miss.
And it swells like a mother &^%$-er if you don't using it sparingly.

Just fixed a Christmas ornament for the wife with that stuff. I was whittling it back for a while ... :laughing8: