Another XPN.org playback of a list of popular music, streaming now

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
WXPN in Phila, part of the Univ of PA is a singer songwriter station mostly and I do enjoy listening. But at the end of the year they do different things that take a lot of air time.
At 88.5 on the dial they have done 885 best songs as voted by the listeners or 885 albums or other things.

This year they are playing on tune from the top 2021 albums as rated by listeners, each offering their list of ten albums. Right now through about the first 1900 albums they will play a single song and in the top 100+ they will pay more cuts. Since they are just playing music, not using some algorithm to get the next tune right it can be an odd mix of stuff.

Just another interesting stream, or use of a tuner I'm going to have on for a few days.

https://xpn.org/music-artist/885-countdown/2021 is the background info and the list as it gets populated. Listen is top center of the page.

Last edited:

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
OK here's an update with the info from the Statistics Dept I guess.
Through about 2021 to 1285 in the countdown to No1 we have the following.

Songs per album.jpg

Time and Artist.jpg Decades and Years.jpg

Never know what we will hear next but one of the staff said that Steely Dan et al would own the 500-250 section of the countdown.

I guess the WOPL-Klipsch guy have little interest without more headbanging getting done here.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
About another 100 hours of Singles then 4 hours of double songs and 6 hours of triple songs then the albums.

Looking at the calendar we have single songs until Wednesday late, doubles and triples will fill until Friday the 10th when they will be playing full albums for those that want to here the winners.

Past compilations like this with the statistics should be available on the xpn site to see what might happen in the last couple days.
Here is the list from 2005: https://xpn.org/music-artist/885-countdown/2005/885-greatest-albums
The other statistics are probably on their site, too, most time, most albums and the year/decade breakout.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
The time per artist is dependent on the song choices whereas the 2005 stats for top 885 albums was the full album time and had higher numbers of hours and minutes for the artists. This list is now being skewed by the additional songs per album allotted to the more popular albums, 2 songs, then three, then four and finally the top 10 being the full album. And many post CD introduction albums are up to twice as long as earlier vinyl only releases.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
OK based on the progress so far the top ten will begin about 4pm EST today and last until about midnight. All rough numbers. Here is how I got there and made my earlier guesses.

about 12 songs per hour, there is very little talk, a few breaks and the dj saying what was played bur non-com radio is nice when they are not begging
Then add up the number of songs to get somewhere...like to the top 10 and figure out how long that will take.

Close but off by 12 hours with my first prediction because 12 songs per hour isn't the correct number and in previous years one of the boss jocks wanted to do the winners during the day I think.

Always fun to see what XPN is going to do for their days-long music in the Dec-Jan timeframe each year. And the closer to the top, the more we have probably heard that music and enjoy it.

Be nice to get back to WRTI, Classical during the day and Jazz at night. I love their AM classical, get up and move music. I just wish I knew enough about that genre to be able to collect those types without screechy violins and ennui quiet sections that never end. Their stream is available in multiple versions, the stream, the jazz 24 hours and the classical 24 hour are the three. But I have tuners and they are generally much better than current FM lower bit rate streams.