Another Teac Followed Me Home TCA-43/RA-41

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
Over the weekend got together with a longtime friend and gave him a JVC DD-5 cassette deck I salvaged months back.

Well, like usual one box leaves and a few more arrive to takes its place, go figure. Anyway, he had an old TEAC multitrack deck that I had owned from past college days and somehow it managed to survive all these years buried deep in a closet. He wanted it gone so here it is. :) It's one of the first TEAC simul-sync decks prior to the 2340/3340 best I can tell. Amazingly it still has the original boxes, cables, and most of the packing material. Model TCA-43, 4 track, 1/4 inch tape, with two RA-41 amplifiers.

It's going to need some caps, belts, and lub but in time will likely spin again.

Robert

[attachment=1:2ofanfn7]Picture 011_rs.jpg[/attachment:2ofanfn7]
[attachment=0:2ofanfn7]Picture 012_rs.jpg[/attachment:2ofanfn7]

Attachments

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Hi Robert,

I like the modular design of your Teac R2R. I haven't seen another before yours. I hope you get it working to your satisfaction. Like a long-lost friend, isn't it?

Nando.

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
Hi Nando,

Thanks, nice to hear from you..... Just need to find some time to work on all these projects.

I think I finally figured out what my wow and flutter problem is with my other TEAC. It has to be the pinch roller slipping just enough to cause problems. I routed the tape bypassing some of the guides and bingo no issue. I think there is just enough friction through all the guides to cause the tape slip. Now to find a new roller....

Has anyone ever tried to rebuild a pinch roller? I wonder if some type of urethane casting material would work? I have a lathe to make things round so that would not be a problem. Are the original rollers compression molded using rubber and then machined?

Lee, Your deck is much nicer! Ha, we both know that Nando's toys are fantastic!

Robert

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
rtp_burnsville said:
Hi Nando,

Thanks, nice to hear from you..... Just need to find some time to work on all these projects.

I think I finally figured out what my wow and flutter problem is with my other TEAC. It has to be the pinch roller slipping just enough to cause problems. I routed the tape bypassing some of the guides and bingo no issue. I think there is just enough friction through all the guides to cause the tape slip. Now to find a new roller....

Has anyone ever tried to rebuild a pinch roller? I wonder if some type of urethane casting material would work? I have a lathe to make things round so that would not be a problem. Are the original rollers compression molded using rubber and then machined?

Lee, Your deck is much nicer! Ha, we both know that Nando's toys are fantastic!

Robert
Doesn't Terry DeWick(?) rebu8ild rollers?

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
If I have one available in my parts I might do something but i don't know if I need it first.

kelyclrk

New Around These Parts
This is the best cassette deck i have ever seen in my entire life and yes its really modular in design and cassette deck have really extincted in this modern world but some modernization have to be done in order to keep these cassette decks alive.

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
kelyclrk said:
This is the best cassette deck i have ever seen in my entire life and yes its really modular in design and cassette deck have really extincted in this modern world but some modernization have to be done in order to keep these cassette decks alive.
What cassette deck??

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
kelyclrk said:
What kind of modernization? I think the Dragon has all the bells and whistles that you could want. The only thing I haven't seen is a tubed deck. Another guy and I started on a design. If you don't know what you are doing it isn't easy. We were having to deengineer every thing. I had the transport. You have to engineer it to available parts. Heads were the biggest concern. LOL I would still like to build one. Just to say it has been done. I would use a K 1000 transport. PB only.

Just thinking.

Larry