Another Pioneer receiver?!?

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
SX-880 this time MOAR POWER!

$400 and it works. Needs my TLC but is that a reasonable price?

I kinda like the little guy but…

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Prices vary for SX-880 receivers, dependent on condition. $400 USD would be in the middle of the pack for pricing.

Nando.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
So, what would be the low end?

This one works, but it was kept some place damp. The top and bottom steel are rusty (not a big deal) but the transformer inside is as well. I’m a bit concerned other components will be failing soon.

Elite-ist

Staff member
$300 CAD on FB Marketplace and Craigslist a month, or so, ago. But, not rusted.

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
I have a Pioneer SX-450. I traded another audio component for it. I, usually, only want vintage audio that works and looks good to excellent. The SX-450 worked fine, but was the worse for wear as it had sat in a damp basement for a long time. The local store, I frequented before it closed, had it running in their store and once looking at it, I sort of felt sorry about it. Imagine that - feeling sorry for an inanimate object. So, I struck a quick deal and brought it home.

DSC02978_zps28z0hapi.jpg
DSC02976_zpsuvz3rqqn.jpg

Nando.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
So, what would be the low end?

This one works, but it was kept some place damp. The top and bottom steel are rusty (not a big deal) but the transformer inside is as well. I’m a bit concerned other components will be failing soon.

If it's got rust from improper storage, don't waste your money. Electronics is 99% metal and you will chase gremlins for the rest of your life. I just chucked a rusty sony. The transistor legs were corroded and you cant see under each component to check.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I may make a low offer on it, because the face an knobs seem nice. No corrosion of the face, which I do have on my little receiver.

It has the same heat sink rail up the middle so probably suffers the same loose screw issues causing poor ground as mine.

I think I could easily break even as a parts mule at $200. So I may offer that and see what happens. At least it’s currently working- if it wasn’t, I wouldn’t bother at all.

I’ll keep thinking about it…

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I received an update from the seller:

“Jim,
I got this receiver from my college(sic) who retired two years ago and left CT. He was the original owner. I have been using this receiver for the last two years and there is no problem at all.
Please name your price.
Regards”

Asking price is $400. It does look nice externally; not abused. I was going to throw $200 out but that may be offensive… what do you guys think? Have you seen rust even with decent storage? I’m guessing it was a damp basement situation but if it HAS been used the last two years I think it might be okay.

$300 CAD = $235 USD; probably $300 USD after shipping…

Last edited:

George S.

Personally, if it's rusted or corroded, I'd pass. There's many more options that will pop up in the future. This stuff isn't exactly rare in the US and with many of the long time owners now down sizing or retiring there's going to be more of it.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I think this receiver was in the sea…

Anyway, the seller seemed cool but did not counter my low offer (yet). So, this one may get away.

He got it a couple years ago and has been using it daily, so short term at least, it seems solid. I zoomed in as much as I could looking for frosty solder globs and the like but it looks pretty normal old, dusty Japanese board-like.

Anyway, apparently he’s moving away and needs to move it. I may end up with it eventually. No big deal either way honestly. I think I can manage with the crap I already have.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
So, I’ve been looking now and again at Pioneer receivers. I figured the sweet spot for me is the 780 or 880. Higher or lower (or the x50 series) don’t do it for me. The sound is fine from my dumpster dive and I like the look more than the comparable Kenwood offerings, although I think their tuner sections are better.

It’s not ultimate fidelity here- just good looks and decent sound. Background music mainly. So it needs to look good.

Anyway, I received an offer on a 780 for $325 (tested working with decent appearance). Bad time of year for spending on myself…

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Doing more research, I am either going for an SX-880, a Kenwood KR 7050 or nothing.

I learned the 770 used unobtanium output devices, so I’m not interested in that path.

The Kenwood offerings typically have the darker dial window on the silver face and I’m not crazy about that look. But the 7050 is gray on the scale with a silver face so a similar look.

Much better specs on the Kenwood too but that doesn’t mean better sound (although damping factor is nearly double).

So, that’s where I’m at today. Kinda leaning toward the 880 right now. Let’s hear some input on the different options (sub-$500 ideally!!)

Elite-ist

Staff member
That's generous of you, Lee. And, there are some great integrated amplifiers in your budget, too, Jim.

Nando.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Amen Nando....I don't know if it even works, but if he's interested I'll get it out and bring it up...

Tagline
---
About those SX-780 unobtanium output devices: plenty of chinese counterfeits - and some may be workable if you don't push them.
But on AudioKarma Rick (rcs16) has come up with a discrete replacement for them.
He sells the boards, or finished modules, on ePrey (delta9electronics). With parts lists, schematics and instructions.
No affiliation.