Another New Guy

Mark Allen

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Hi all,

I used to repair Phase Linear products in the Chicago area from about 1972 to 1975. Early on when I called PL to order parts sometimes Bob Carver would actually answer the phone. Repaired mostly PL-400 models but also quite a few 700's and 700B's. I left Hi-Fi repair for a position at Panasnic long before Series 2 or PL's with complimentary output stages appeared. I have carried on my audio hobby to this day and have been involved in cloning Krell KSA-50 & 100's at another group back about 2005 and much Pass Labs gear. I stumbled on an old and forlorn looking PL-700 a few months ago and couldn't leave without it. 150 bucks was a fair price even though the tag said not functioning and the top cover was missing. I brought it home and cleaned it up and revived it, only needed re-capping of the driver board. Main caps had been replaced in the late 90's and reformed perfectly. I was surprised how good a 45 year old amp can still sound. Waiting for my WO driver board kit to arrive. Going to listen to quasi first then switch to full complimentary.

Mark

Fishoz

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Always learning!
Welcome Mark. Sounds like you will fit in just fine here. Pardon our unabashed thread hijacking, nothing stays on subject long but somehow always gets put in the right direction again. If you can put up with it you will have a lot of fun here.

Early 70's in the Chicago area? Lots of great electronic brick and mortars then - anyone in particular you worked for? Ever hear of Columbia Audio Video?

If you think a 45 year old PL sounds good,,,wait until you hear a WOPL!!!

Mark Allen

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Welcome Mark. Sounds like you will fit in just fine here. Pardon our unabashed thread hijacking, nothing stays on subject long but somehow always gets put in the right direction again. If you can put up with it you will have a lot of fun here.

Early 70's in the Chicago area? Lots of great electronic brick and mortars then - anyone in particular you worked for? Ever hear of Columbia Audio Video?

If you think a 45 year old PL sounds good,,,wait until you hear a WOPL!!!

Hi Fishoz...

I worked for Tech HiFi and then the name was changed to Midwest HiFi. I was at the Arlington Heights facility on Rand road... Repair center. We did warranty repair for everything the stores sold and then some. After I left there while I was at Panasonic I also did some repair work for Basil Goleta at I/O Systems. Yes, I've heard of Columbia Audio Video... Hi-Fi Hutch, Musicraft The Audiophile, and several others whose names escape me.

Mark

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Chicago was hi-fi heaven from what others have told me, and the land of Zenith.

Oh, the wisdom and stories you surely can impart!

Welcome, indeed!

NavLinear

Welcome to Phoenix Mark - we do have a bit of fun here.

I bought my first power amp in 76, a Phase Linear 400. It kicked ass over many of the receivers my buds were buying. Besides Playboy and Penthouse, Stereo Review was my fav magazine and it rated both the PL 400 and 700 amps highly.

A Nav welcome babe for you - enjoy!

Attachments

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Another Mark in the group.

We will soon conquer Phoenix.

Welcome, and bring more Marks!

Mark Allen

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
And photo equipment. Chicago used to be camera Mecca, or at least in a tie run with New York City...

Thanks for all the welcomes everybody!

I also worked for Canon USA for 5 years when they were located in Elmhurst. I repaired mainly AE-1, A-1 cameras, Lenses and TV Camera Lenses. After I left Canon I went to work in Broadcast TV in Chicago, then left that and worked on Movie Theaters and supplied projectors and sound systems to Movies that shot on location. I am still doing the latter today although all the film is now gone from theaters on a large scale.

Mark

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
A big welcome to you, Mark. After all these years, you probably wouldn't have foreseen a cult-following of Phase Linear products that has seen these babies hopped up with improvements to make them better than factory-stock.

Nando.