Altronics K5192 Valve Preamp

derek92994

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
If it sounds good, don't mess with it..... Besides, without looking at the skizmo, ya never know.... Usually you can experiment with the caps in the signal path to find "The Sound".. But, all our ears are different so I think I'll have another glass of Champ-Pagne....

The regulators usually won't affect anything if it was designed right, the Mosfets (misfits??) may ar may not... Mmmmmm, bubbles.....

HUH???
Friday night drinks :evil4:

Last edited:

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I tend to like the polypropylene over the polyester but Joe may chime in..... Will it make a diff??? Maybe, maybe not, but that is the fun of it if you like to experiment. Most of all? Have fun listening....

There are 8 polyester caps which you COULD change out (for polypropylene), but you may not notice the diff.... Shit, some caps change values during operation from heat/freq/drinking, and if you want to experiment to make your amp/Pre fit you system/ears... I say GO FOR IT or.... Maybe not... I experiment a lot.... Some things work, some don't. but, how ya gonna know... Sometimes, you can't find caps in the form/material/function so you get what you get.. Sometimes, the designer saved a few bucks.....

P

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
If it sounds good, don't mess with it..... Besides, without looking at the skizmo, ya never know.... Usually you can experiment with the caps in the signal path to find "The Sound".. But, all our ears are different so I think I'll have another glass of Champ-Pagne....

The regulators usually won't affect anything if it was designed right, the Mosfets (misfits??) may ar may not... Mmmmmm, bubbles.....

HUH???
careful with those bubbles...

The #metoos haven't got to old a-one a-two YET...

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
Derek ,
a question : "What about EMC ?"
For instance , if you receive a call on your mobile phone when you are near to the amp are there interferences ?
The plastic case is very nice and fantastic for isolation , but it' s not a shield for EMC .
It's only a my curiosity .
Ciao
Marco

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I tend to like the polypropylene over the polyester but Joe may chime in..... Will it make a diff??? Maybe, maybe not, but that is the fun of it if you like to experiment. Most of all? Have fun listening....

There are 8 polyester caps which you COULD change out (for polypropylene), but you may not notice the diff.... Shit, some caps change values during operation from heat/freq/drinking, and if you want to experiment to make your amp/Pre fit you system/ears... I say GO FOR IT or.... Maybe not... I experiment a lot.... Some things work, some don't. but, how ya gonna know... Sometimes, you can't find caps in the form/material/function so you get what you get.. Sometimes, the designer saved a few bucks.....

P
PP is best but PE is not a bad choice either.

derek92994

Tagline
Derek ,
a question : "What about EMC ?"
For instance , if you receive a call on your mobile phone when you are near to the amp are there interferences ?
The plastic case is very nice and fantastic for isolation , but it' s not a shield for EMC .
It's only a my curiosity .
Ciao
Marco
After test running the Valve Pre for some time, I can conclude that noise levels are very low, at least not audible to my ears at all listening levels. I have mounted it in the plastic box just recently. Will post pics.

derek92994

Tagline
The Altronics Valve Amp came with switch mode 15 Volt power pack. I decided to buy a better power supply to run it, more of a test bench power supply. All I know is its an Atten APS3003S-3D regulated, it was also mentioned in the specs that it is a Triple OP design (whatever that means?). I also run the Phono Preamp off this, hence the two channels come in handy. It seems reliable and quiet. If anyone has more info on these I would be interested, do these really supply cleaner DC power compared to a switch mode?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
The Altronics Valve Amp came with switch mode 15 Volt power pack. I decided to buy a better power supply to run it, more of a test bench power supply. All I know is its an Atten APS3003S-3D regulated, it was also mentioned in the specs that it is a Triple OP design (whatever that means?). I also run the Phono Preamp off this, hence the two channels come in handy. It seems reliable and quiet. If anyone has more info on these I would be interested, do these really supply cleaner DC power compared to a switch mode?

Hi D2
The circuit design for the preamp itself is also switch-mode inside the plastic box. So I doubt that making the external supply a linear will have much effect that you will notice.