Akai GX-77 center roller stuck in down position

Tagline
---
I've removed the circuit boards and the capstans and the gears behind them, and they're all in good shape. However, the roller is still locked up solid in the down position. How do I disassemble it further to figure out why it is seized?

Charles.

Tagline
---
I've removed the circuit boards and the capstans and the gears behind them, and they're all in good shape. However, the roller is still locked up solid in the down position. How do I disassemble it further to figure out why it is seized?

Charles.
Nevermind, figured it out. So much disassembly. Didn't need to take the back off at all, the front gear mechanism was locked up solid due to hardened grease. Disassembled and degreased it, and reassembled it, and it's not stuck anymore. Need to disassemble pretty much every linkage and soak it in degreaser, then re-lube with white lithium grease and reassemble. Lots of work.... but seems doable. The loading roller spring is not broken, so that's a plus. Everything else, except the door that covers the loading mechanism, is in really good shape. $130 was probably a lot to pay for a non-working unit, but I'll have it working again in no time.... assuming it's only mechanical issues that's wrong with it :)

Charles.

Tagline
---
So if you have a GX-77 with the roller stuck in the down position, it makes getting the controls off very difficult. It's easy enough to get the pinch rollers unbolted and removed with everything loose, but that little loading roller gets in the way. Well, the loading roller is attached to the plastic paddle that works the tape counter. It's just a friction fit, so you can pull the roller right off, and the plastic paddle will fall off inside the machine. Now you can disassemble the rest of the way, so you can get the rails off.

Charles