Added to the fleet

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
Is that a infinity black widow? ( I think that’s what it was called?)
The reason nothing needed to be said is the ∞ on the baseplate and the BW logo, the red hourglass found on the belly of the beast are both in the picture. I knew it would be recognized as laatsch has (had) one that was on a table needing some new veneer. How did that turn out?

got this with a 126 II, ADC XLM II.

Will use it with some LOMC that benefit from a low mass arm, Ortofon and Dynavector. I'll listen to the ADC but I don't think it is going to stay with so many folks wanting them. I've got an AT15Sa, Shure V15 and maybe some others to try if I get curious.

NeverSatisfied

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Play the Game, don’t be the Game
The reason nothing needed to be said is the ∞ on the baseplate and the BW logo, the red hourglass found on the belly of the beast are both in the picture. I knew it would be recognized as laatsch has (had) one that was on a table needing some new veneer. How did that turn out?

Will use it with some LOMC that benefit from a low mass arm, Ortofon and Dynavector. I'll listen to the ADC but I don't think it is going to stay with so many folks wanting them. I've got an AT15Sa, Shure V15 and maybe some others to try if I get curious.
Nice, could you post more pics of the rig? Just curious and since I am an Infinity guy, I hope to one day find one for my collection.
Thanks
Spencer

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I have a Denon DP 1500 With the Black Widow I would sell. The table was near a fire in my house and it would take some sanding and refinishing. Had a new dust cover fabbed for it. There's a thread on it in the turntable section.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
. Are you going to build something special for it to run on?
I've got a few tables, nothing special and not looking to make work for myself. This arm has joined my fleet of the SME 3009 S/2 Imp, a few Magnepans (the more adjustable updated Black Widow-type of arm) and will get to be on a KD-600/KD-500/TD-125/TD-126 or even a TD-160 Super. But I'm looking to unload a couple of those and a Magnepan or two.

Everyone talks about the ∞BW so much and I really like the logo on the front of the arm support arm enough to finally add one to the fleet. Not that I need it but this is the latest...should be the greatest version. They made 4 versions, in order...and the last one is just an addition to the arm.
Aluminum tube prone to breaking
Stepped graphite (now carbon fiber)
Tapered smooth carbon fiber and finally
Tapered smooth carbon fiber with the damping trough installed.

I say should be because my research found only one mention that the second version was the best sounding. I don't care, this one is more versatile with the trough. I have a few different fluids already for other uses.

It is not really a rig yet as I have pulled the armboard with the arm for cleaning and learning, upgraded phono cable it seems, no plastic covered plugs on the end. Different board from the 125, too.
The 126 is being pulled apart for cleaning, that dust cover is odd but I'll only do the major surfaces, no need to get exploded pictures of the unit. I don't what to move anything on this set up and right now all of it will bolt back in place because it had a tune up by a table guru. I want to see what alignment he used, suspect Baerwald, my preferred method vs the Lofgren B or Stevenson some folks like.

I need to move some pieces off my bench so I can spend time with this table. Bought a phono pre for a friend I will use for a while. PS Audio GCPH. Should be interesting times ahead

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof

Still sitting here .....waiting...

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
Well there you have it, Spencer. An ∞BW to add to your collection. Of course, table work will be needed but last I read it worked.

mr_rye89

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
Wow a Black Widow! I almost bought one many moons ago for less than $200. Now you just need a NOS Stanton 981HZS for it :)

I'm running the antithesis of that combo, a Japanese Gray 108 style Clonearm with a Stanton 500, thinking about installing a Shure M3D.....

NeverSatisfied

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Not counting my chickens before they hatch but, I have a Denon DL 303 MC that I have been saving. Would that cart be a good match for the BW ?

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
It would have a resonance frequency on the high side but be acceptable. Adding a gram or two would bring it into the green range of 8-11Hz.

Since the higher number limits are to keep the cartridge from being influenced by recorded low notes you will probably be fine unless E. Power Biggs is in the playlist. Most records don't have much down at 20Hz. The Denon/Black Widow being about 12. But who knows the exact way to convert the 100Hz spec to the 10Hz needed value for the tables.

NeverSatisfied

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
It would have a resonance frequency on the high side but be acceptable. Adding a gram or two would bring it into the green range of 8-11Hz.

Since the higher number limits are to keep the cartridge from being influenced by recorded low notes you will probably be fine unless E. Power Biggs is in the playlist. Most records don't have much down at 20Hz. The Denon/Black Widow being about 12. But who knows the exact way to convert the 100Hz spec to the 10Hz needed value for the tables.
I am going to have to get an education on all this and appreciate all the helpful information I am finding around here. What a great site you guys and gals have going here. Thanks