Acurus pre on the bay

Bradrock

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---I run with Scissors
I had that in my cart a couple days ago. But I don't have a separate phono stage.
I may need a pre soon.
Haven't seen a 4000t recently.

Geegz

Journeyman
Tagline
---there is no replacement for displacement
Bradrock,

I have always been curious about the Acurus’ big brother line of the same period, the Aragon 24k has a phone stage (28k does not) but the 24k doesn’t have a remote (if a deal breaker).

I know we have a expert on the forum now Modialfan, he might be able to chime in on how the Aragon pre’s sound vs the little brother Acurus.

Here is one for a fair price on USAudiomart:

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649511381-aragon-24k-with-separate-power-supply/

Last edited:

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I don't recall seeing too many RL-11s with a remote when brought up here, to be honest.

Tagline
---
If you need a phono stage then the 24k is hard to beat, but I like the later Aragon 18k, 28k & Aurum's circuit design better. The Aurum is typically a lot more expensive though.

If you find an RL-11 without the remote you can always use your smartphone. I downloaded an app that had the Acurus IR codes in it.

I can also supply you with a small preprogrammed handheld learning remote that only has the needed buttons on it for about $15. Its not the prettiest remote but its the perfect size and shape for sitting with the remote in your hand. I usually take the batteries out of my original remotes and store them away and I only use the preprogrammed ones, that way I know the original remotes should always work. I've had several people contact me over the past few years that their remotes just suddenly stopped working, so they do fail.

As far as the sound differences between the Acurus and Aragon 24k pre's I hate to attempt to quantify sound differences to other people. Just because its so subjective, not to mention it really depends on your downstream equipment/speakers. What I hear and what you may hear and the next person hears will almost always be due to the room acoustics and downstream equipment. Most of my experience with the Aragon's is with the later models I mentioned earlier. I've only had a couple of 24k's in my system after upgrading them for other folks and the last one was probably 5 years ago so I cannot really comment too much on them. I find the later Aragon's to be a bit more laid back on the top end than the stock Acurus pre's and also a bit more solid and extended on the bottom end. As far as voices/singers go, I tend to prefer the Acurus presentation, but the Aragon is not far behind. Thats just my .02, I'm sure your take will be somewhat different. I've had folks tell me that they felt the Aragon's were not more laid back on the top end when they compared to the Acurus in their own system.