A Pretty Picture

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
Oh yes, the smoke test! Seriously though, I hope it sings beautifully. Pictures please. The only 700 I've ever seen in person was in the middle 1970s in Athens Ohio, a small audio store I can't remember the name of. When I get the time I need to look and see if old Yellow Pages are somewhere on the net.

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
Oh yes, the smoke test! Seriously though, I hope it sings beautifully. Pictures please.
My 'Burn-in' test is a live loop of Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love" at 50% volume. I run a CD player straight into the amp for the cleanest signal. Knowing that all audio equipment is subtractive to the original music, I can report that the WOPL amplifier is more like 'a straight wire with gain' than any other amplifier I have ever heard. When I close my eyes, I can see (hear) John Paul Jones on the left, Jimmy Page banging on the strings of his Gibson Les Paul on the right, and Robert Plant and the drummer, John Bonham, in the center.
The strike of the crash cymbal continues to ring for an incredibly long time while the thundering staccato bass guitar erupts through those folded-horn stage speakers. When the Page drags the bow across his guitar stings and the sound is panned from left to right again and again, you know the balance is right, the left-right separation is right, the noise level is right, and the clarity is right. There is nothing like a new WOPL 700.
Full Power Test.jpg

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
My 'Burn-in' test is a live loop of Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love" at 50% volume. I run a CD player straight into the amp for the cleanest signal. Knowing that all audio equipment is subtractive to the original music, I can report that the WOPL amplifier is more like 'a straight wire with gain' than any other amplifier I have ever heard. When I close my eyes, I can see (hear) John Paul Jones on the left, Jimmy Page banging on the strings of his Gibson Les Paul on the right, and Robert Plant and the drummer, John Bonham, in the center.
The strike of the crash cymbal continues to ring for an incredibly long time while the thundering staccato bass guitar erupts through those folded-horn stage speakers. When the Page drags the bow across his guitar stings and the sound is panned from left to right again and again, you know the balance is right, the left-right separation is right, the noise level is right, and the clarity is right. There is nothing like a new WOPL 700.
View attachment 45742
That is the amp that Bob Carver wanted to deliver...