A Good Day For A Scotch And A Coke

Des_Lab

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I've done many picture essays over the years. You mean someone actually wants to see one? I did one here at PHX for LPR35 tape and no one seemed interested in it.

Lance Lawson

New Around These Parts
The past two weeks haven't been good ones for my older back coated tapes. Virtually every reel I treated with the NuFinish system (the one I refined from the original) has gone sticky again. Now it's been 2 years since I treated most so a touch up is not unreasonable to expect. However it's a PIA if you want to just run a tape. Fortunately I don't have many old sticky tapes and swore off acquiring any more.

That said I did run a retreated mix tape I made on Scotch 996 and 996 was one heck of an impressive tape. I rate it up with ATR which has been my go to still in production tape.

Lance Lawson

New Around These Parts
Essentially all of my early and middle period Ampex 400 series and the 356 and 357 Grand Master. Scotch 996 was hinting at being grabby but the 806 was full blown SSS. The 356 and 357 were the worst although they're no older than most of the 400 I have. The late Ampex and Quantegy is rock solid. I think SSS treatment with NuFinish is good for about 18 months before hitting it again. No big deal only takes a few minutes as it's just the extract part. However at the prices the known SSS offenders sell for now it's not worth the hassle. That's why I'm supporting new tape.

Des_Lab

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Yeah I would not recommend going after the known SSS tapes, even if you can bake and/or NuFinish them. It just isn't worth it. Not unless you can get them at a good price just to harvest the boxes and reels. How's that Q-457 I sent you to try holding up? I've always (and still do) swear by that stuff.

Lance Lawson

New Around These Parts
The Q 457 is rock solid. I played one of the mix's I made on them and the still shine . A very high quality product they were making.

Des_Lab

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Oh yeah. I figured you'd be happy with that tape. I love it too and have to use them very sparingly given how few of them I have and how unobtainium they are.