707 drags at end of reel

Ric27

Journeyman
Tagline
Super Cool but don't know it.
My Pioneer 707 RtR is dragging at the end of the tape. Well it really starts being noticeable near the middle while monitoring the recording by the end it is a horrible mess sounding hideous. When i first got the unit the tape was slipping off the pinch roller so never played or recorded to the end of the tape. I had pinch roller issue repaired at a local tech service. With that problem solved I was all set to groove out on recored jazz standards but was not to be. Is this the motor not being able to pull the tape at a steady speed through the whole reel? Please tell me no!:sad:

Ric:glasses2:

eminence1963

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
My Pioneer 707 RtR is dragging at the end of the tape. Well it really starts being noticeable near the middle while monitoring the recording by the end it is a horrible mess sounding hideous. When i first got the unit the tape was slipping off the pinch roller so never played or recorded to the end of the tape. I had pinch roller issue repaired at a local tech service. With that problem solved I was all set to groove out on recored jazz standards but was not to be. Is this the motor not being able to pull the tape at a steady speed through the whole reel? Please tell me no!:sad:

Ric:glasses2:
try a different tape first before you hit the panic button./ let us know if that fixes the problem.

eminence1963

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
I did try several tapes, hoping but the same each time.
This is a Direct drive unit so I would venture to guess that the back tension on the feed motor is not set right.
This will require a tech that has a tensiometer, and a manual for that deck. Could also be the pinch roller tension is off too. I hate to say it, but the tech you sent the deck to did not know what he was doing. I would find a more reliable tech that knows what he is doing.
Since you had the deck serviced, you could go back with a little bit if knowledge and ask him if he has the tensiometer and the service manual on hand. If he looks at you with the deer in the headlights look, find somebody else that can do the proper job
Remember this.........Knowledge is power;-)

nakdoc

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
highly biased
Ric,
Bring it back in to Hi Tech. We had an issue with the other RT 707 too. The pinch roller washers may be installed improperly. Both decks had rebuilt pinch rollers.

Ric27

Journeyman
Tagline
Super Cool but don't know it.
This is a Direct drive unit so I would venture to guess that the back tension on the feed motor is not set right.
This will require a tech that has a tensiometer, and a manual for that deck. Could also be the pinch roller tension is off too. I hate to say it, but the tech you sent the deck to did not know what he was doing. I would find a more reliable tech that knows what he is doing.
Since you had the deck serviced, you could go back with a little bit if knowledge and ask him if he has the tensiometer and the service manual on hand. If he looks at you with the deer in the headlights look, find somebody else that can do the proper job
Remember this.........Knowledge is power;-)
I don't think it was that they don't know what they're doing it just wasn't what I had brought it in for. I didn't know that the was a problem with the tape speed in that I hadn't got a chance to record a whole tape before. You are right though about knowledge is helpful when discussing problems when getting service.

Tagline
---
This is a common problem with the 701 and 707 decks. It's a result of incorrect pinch roller pressure. If someone has adjusted the pinch roller solenoid position, it can be not fully extending, which will cause less pressure and slow down the tape pack near the end. It can also be a bad solenoid, or something wrong with the power supply. Do your meter lights flicker? If so, it's probably a power supply issue. If not, it's a solenoid issue.

Charles.