45 RPM Long Play ...

BlazeES

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Who's seriously delved into the whole 45 RPM long play album thing? Seeing more & more of these pressings in the wild ...

Curious what anyone has to say about their personal experience on this format.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Technically very interesting with advantages over 331/3 Tony but no personal experience. Like you, would love to hear some feedback from folks that have these and whether it is noticeable.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Alan Parsons “I Robot” is incredible on 45. Incredibly dynamic.

Elvis Costello “Get Happy” somewhat improved, probably because the standard 33.333 was too compressed due to the number of songs. More detail, but the music itself probably isn’t the best to make the judgement. The original British release was 2x45.

The Specials (S/T) has more “life” to it over the original release. Ratty SKA to begin with, but I enjoyed it. “Much Too Much” was re- edited and ruined in the process.

Interpol (also S/T) was okay, was a 2x45 release only. Strange- 1 1/2 center holes and came with an adapter. Eh... not my favorite band, sound was... eh...

The first 45 I encountered was a Philips release of the Jacques Loussier Trio playing J. S. Bach. Absolutely amazing!
https://www.discogs.com/Jacques-Loussier-Trio-Plays-J-S-Bach-Encore/release/8691908

Other 45s in my collection are some DJ remixes, deeply cut and heavily modulated, and rock the house.

Overall, I like the 45 albums, highs are crisp and sparkly. The difference really shows when comparing the inner grooves of 33 to 45, especially with “I Robot.” Given the choice between the two, I’d buy the 45.

Last edited:

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
One more thing to add- the need for a microline elliptical point becomes moot with the higher velocity groove. Yeh, I was curious, swapped points on my Ortofon to investigate a theory, only a slight difference.