300B

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
I'd say look for someone here on the site to design and build one for you. With prices as high as they are for 300B amps, you probably could have one custom designed and built and end up with what you want and have a hand in its' concept and design. Bottlehead may have a kit...and there may be some other kits out there as well..

There are a bunch of Chinese offerings on eBay as well..for under $1,000.

I like the one with the brand name B O W E L or is it B O W E I ?

Pretty cool. Wonder what the translation is ?

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
SO why do you want another one? If 12 watts isn't enough, is 8 going to be better? I would see about a kit, and build it, or go for the B O W E I one from China. I really like the Yaqin MS-12B I bought from China, and Roy of VTA said he couldn't even buy the parts in the unit for what they sold it for. Quality parts too....I did have it modded with different Soinicaps, and the voltages adjusted which were off, but beyond that, the stuff coming out of China represents a REAL value...I know you have owned some of this Cchinese gear before. You gota change the tubes to American, Europ0ean, or even Russian, but I'll bet they catch on to the tube thing soon, and make a better tube than the Russians are making. I think the Chinese govenrment must support their manufacture of consumer goods for export...Get the B O W E I and then send it to me so I can hear it. I love the way those big A$$ 300B tubes look.

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
ksrigg said:
SO why do you want another one? If 12 watts isn't enough, is 8 going to be better? I would see about a kit, and build it, or go for the B O W E I one from China. I really like the Yaqin MS-12B I bought from China, and Roy of VTA said he couldn't even buy the parts in the unit for what they sold it for. Quality parts too....I did have it modded with different Soinicaps, and the voltages adjusted which were off, but beyond that, the stuff coming out of China represents a REAL value...I know you have owned some of this Cchinese gear before. You gota change the tubes to American, Europ0ean, or even Russian, but I'll bet they catch on to the tube thing soon, and make a better tube than the Russians are making. I think the Chinese govenrment must support their manufacture of consumer goods for export...Get the B O W E I and then send it to me so I can hear it. I love the way those big A$$ 300B tubes look.
Surely you do understand why the Chinese can sell so cheap. They manipulate their currency. They are the most capitalistic Communist country in the free world. Why do you think they wanted Hong Kong. MONEY

larry

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Yuuup !! I think there is one seller who has them for $550 or thereabouts, and shipping is $100. Less than most of the others..So, sor under $750 you could have a 300B amp complete with tubes....You might even be able to request a substitution of Russian tubes. A lot of times these sellers will do this for little to NO extra moola...

Here is one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Music-Angel-XDS ... 4845906533

And another:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Musical-Paradis ... 43b01d8f94

And the B O W E I amp:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bowei-300B-Hi-E ... 4ab7e38035

Another:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DavidyeeAudio-3 ... 45fa9409a9

Here is one where you can make an offer:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bowei-300B-Hi-E ... 4ab7e38154

speakerman1

Tagline
Sutton I'm thinking. If I have to roll the Chinese tubes that will cost me over 400.00. That being said then it will be a 1000.00 amp. Why not buy a 1000.00 300B amp off of ebay? Or shop around for a nice one. In that ball park non-Chinese?

Larry

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Pretty much EVERYTHING these days is made in China anyway. I wouldn't feel bad going either way. The ones reworked by the Canadian company would be the bestbet. Some of these come WITH Russian tubes too. Look around and see if the seller will sub Russian tubes in place of the Chinese ones. Many will.
I would do whatever you think is best. I've been happy with the Yaqin MS-12B I bought. Had to change tubes, some caps and adjust the voltages in couple places, but other than that. I think it is pretty solid. I couldn't buy a phono and CD pre for $250.00 anywhere near this price for the quality of this unit. Do what you think is best. I wish there were someone in the USA making amps in the garage for an affordable price...

speakerman1

Tagline
ksrigg said:
Pretty much EVERYTHING these days is made in China anyway. I wouldn't feel bad going either way. The ones reworked by the Canadian company would be the bestbet. Some of these come WITH Russian tubes too. Look around and see if the seller will sub Russian tubes in place of the Chinese ones. Many will.
I would do whatever you think is best. I've been happy with the Yaqin MS-12B I bought. Had to change tubes, some caps and adjust the voltages in couple places, but other than that. I think it is pretty solid. I couldn't buy a phono and CD pre for $250.00 anywhere near this price for the quality of this unit. Do what you think is best. I wish there were someone in the USA making amps in the garage for an affordable price...
Sutton I sold Yaqin renamed. I started having problems after a couple years. Started not being able to hold a bias. What is affordable? I'm going to be perfectly honest. The only thing on this system right now that cost 250.00 was the power cords. I have less than 4000.00 in this system. I think I got a very good deal on it. I'll probably stick with little 40 WPC amp I have on lay-a-way. LOL

Larry

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
OK....I was just trying to help by doing a little eBay searching for you. No problem. If I were going to buy a 300B amp, I'd probably do a lot more research too. I'd try to talk to some people who own them and see what they had to say. They might recommend a 2A3 or some other low power tube over the 300.....I just don't know. I have been interested in the low power amps at times, but never could justify spending the big money for something with such low power. I really love the Fisher KX-200 and the receivers...400, 500, 800 too. Just soooo warm and wonderful sounding. Just a totally different sound than solid state. A little piano upright bass, drums and female vocals and you are there....I don't know that tubes can be beat for certain types of music..but for major rock and roll or blues, or anything that needs some db's to be "right", the Phase Linear is tough to beat. You might want to look into a nice Fisher KX-200. I think they sound great...or a 400 or 500 receiver...I really like the 7868 and the 7951 output tubes. Just something about them that I prefer over EL34 or anything else. Another bargain is the Bogen monoblocks the MO-100 still a bargain at 500 per block, but the tubes are getting scarce and high priced. I you do get one of the Fishers, don't try to improve it with upgrading caps, etc. It just sucks the life out of the amps. I learned the hard way....

speakerman1

Tagline
I will shop around if I do it at all. Would mean buying some very efficient speakers. So it will probably a while before I go hog wild again. LOL

Larry