2000 volume control, on/off switch

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
Many years ago a friend gave me a 2000II preamp. It's been on the shelf since then. Recently I checked it out to make sure it functioned and permanently loaned it to my brother. It turns out that the volume control doesn't go completely off. It's not some faint music. It's readily audible in another room. With the pot full counter clock wise the resistance from the wiper to the ground terminal doesn't go to zero. The on off switch is integrated into the pot and it appears that the stop on the switch is preventing the pot from going full off. Has anybody seen this? I'm reluctant to disassemble the pot as I doubt there are replacements.

62vauxhall

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
Likely unrelated but something similar is present in both mine and an acquaintence's Hafler DH-101.

I only noticed it when sitting on the floor near a speaker with volume all the way down and an LP was playing. The acquaintance never noticed it at all until I pointed it out and he had his since new. It's a sealed pot in those things, ALPS I believe, and a fellow (John?) at Musical concepts told me by phone it was probably the switches used (implication was cheap) causing crosstalk.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Many years ago a friend gave me a 2000II preamp. It's been on the shelf since then. Recently I checked it out to make sure it functioned and permanently loaned it to my brother. It turns out that the volume control doesn't go completely off. It's not some faint music. It's readily audible in another room. With the pot full counter clock wise the resistance from the wiper to the ground terminal doesn't go to zero. The on off switch is integrated into the pot and it appears that the stop on the switch is preventing the pot from going full off. Has anybody seen this? I'm reluctant to disassemble the pot as I doubt there are replacements.

It could be the cap and/or resistor on the switch also leaking. It's happened a couple times here.

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
Likely unrelated but something similar is present in both mine and an acquaintence's Hafler DH-101.

I only noticed it when sitting on the floor near a speaker with volume all the way down and an LP was playing. The acquaintance never noticed it at all until I pointed it out and he had his since new. It's a sealed pot in those things, ALPS I believe, and a fellow (John?) at Musical concepts told me by phone it was probably the switches used (implication was cheap) causing crosstalk.
I had one of the early hafler 101's and remember the issue. On the 2000 it is not at all subtle. it is normal, casual listening level.

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Man, Ya shoulda been here yesterday
You might check with "oldphaser" about that problem and he possibly could have another control.