1st attempt at veneer on a TT Pioneer PL-518

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Didja try a little scratching with that thing yet??? Great job. I enjoy doing the new veneer jobs (Gonna try to get my Heresey's done one of these days). I bought a Veneer Saw a while back and love it. I've had some ACCIDENTS trimming with a razor blade.

https://www.veneersupplies.com/products/Dual-Edge-Veneer-Saw.html

$40 when I ordered with a spare blade and all sharpened. They'll take a finger off. Used with a perfect straight edge and you can't lose. I prefer the Iron On Heat Loc glue for new projects but if you have done wood repair before veneering, you'll have to use a different non heat glue. The heat makes the epoxy/putty wood repair fall the hell apart.

I'm looking for another veneer saw right now. I wanna try a different maker.

NeverSatisfied

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Play the Game, don’t be the Game
Didja try a little scratching with that thing yet??? Great job. I enjoy doing the new veneer jobs (Gonna try to get my Heresey's done one of these days). I bought a Veneer Saw a while back and love it. I've had some ACCIDENTS trimming with a razor blade.

https://www.veneersupplies.com/products/Dual-Edge-Veneer-Saw.html

$40 when I ordered with a spare blade and all sharpened. They'll take a finger off. Used with a perfect straight edge and you can't lose. I prefer the Iron On Heat Loc glue for new projects but if you have done wood repair before veneering, you'll have to use a different non heat glue. The heat makes the epoxy/putty wood repair fall the hell apart.

I'm looking for another veneer saw right now. I wanna try a different maker.
Thank you for that Sniffer, I am ordering one right away. I have Lee’s Denon coming and it is going to get a new veneer job. I have done some veneer work before but it was the pressure sensitive type on a furniture redo.
The turntable will need to be done at a higher level.

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Damn if you guys think it looks good then I do feel like I did a good job on it. Thank you for the compliments. Scratching ? Not yet but I may play some backwards Beatles one day. HA ! Far as a veneer saw Perry i need one for sure. I too had a few accidents and was wondering how one would work out for me. I used the iron on / glue method on this one as well. Non paper backed so I have been told by another dude I know that is like the hard stuff to use. He said paper back was best. I don't know, never used any. As far as heat on the epoxy/putty wood repairs falling apart now that is damn good info. I have put some veneer on in the past, not much just here and there and I did not know that.

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
This is good. Now we are swapping some info. I always appreciate that. Makes my next job go better. What do you guys use for a straight edge and what kind of material do you use under the veneer when you cut it ? I have been using an aluminum level with a piece of nice finished plywood under it. It has not been optimal.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Damn if you guys think it looks good then I do feel like I did a good job on it. Thank you for the compliments. Scratching ? Not yet but I may play some backwards Beatles one day. HA ! Far as a veneer saw Perry i need one for sure. I too had a few accidents and was wondering how one would work out for me. I used the iron on / glue method on this one as well. Non paper backed so I have been told by another dude I know that is like the hard stuff to use. He said paper back was best. I don't know, never used any. As far as heat on the epoxy/putty wood repairs falling apart now that is damn good info. I have put some veneer on in the past, not much just here and there and I did not know that.

I always use the paper backed veneer, and the "Heat-Lok" glue. With a good veneer saw and tuning it up (Google it), you'll have great results. Just be careful of "Sand Through" as the veneer is thin shit. Always use a sanding block so it spreads out the pressure helping stop sand through.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
This is good. Now we are swapping some info. I always appreciate that. Makes my next job go better. What do you guys use for a straight edge and what kind of material do you use under the veneer when you cut it ? I have been using an aluminum level with a piece of nice finished plywood under it. It has not been optimal.

I use a long aluminum straight edge and a fresh piece of MDF. Take care of the straight edge and use it for nothing else.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Empire-72-in-Aluminum-Straight-Edge-Ruler-4006/205694615

NeverSatisfied

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Play the Game, don’t be the Game

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
I have been doing it for a while but getting better each time
DAMN ! No way I would try that ! That looks pretty awesome. I also have some "pommele sapele veneer" that I want to put on my Klipsch Quartets. I love those little speakers but they are in honey oak and I do not care for that so much. One will need some repair on one corner so knowing not to use glue on that will be a damn good thing.