Interesting way to solder...

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
As the solder paste melts, slightly tap the board and the surface tension of the melted solder will center your components perfectly. I used a Pace hot air machine when I worked in R&D and used the paste often. When jobs were slow, I used it to heat up the wife's banana bread.

MB1953

Journeyman
As the solder paste melts, slightly tap the board and the surface tension of the melted solder will center your components perfectly. I used a Pace hot air machine when I worked in R&D and used the paste often. When jobs were slow, I used it to heat up the wife's banana bread.
Now that was an interesting video and way of soldering.
From what I could see, the finished PCB held in his hand looked perfect!

As a component level tech, we used a Hako for removing the components, after which pads were cleaned off, flux applied and standard Weller hand iron to replace components including large gate arrays.

No slow days, so no Banana bread...

MB

Vintage 700b

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Fabricator
On SMD boards I have assembled using solder paste and a pinpoint heat gun. If new boards it is very straightforward.
For component disassembly and replacement, I have used both the same heat gun, solder wicking, or a Hakko 820w rework station that a friend had.
Clean, clean, clean on the SMD boards is critical.

Vynuladikt

Journeyman
Tagline
Love great audio, beermaking and pyrotechnics
I used to do full board through hole soldering on assemblies that were roughly 2.5" x 6" by dipping the solder side in molten solder heated in a cast iron griddle on top of a hot plate. It was a fairly congested board, a lot of 0.1" pitch chips and close traces. Ss long as the flux and temp were right it worked well. Had to skim dross within seconds of dipping to have good results.
Could do a board every 30 seconds or less compared to about 45 minutes of hand soldering. Poor man's wave solder setup. I would do runs of 20 to 30 boards, so it was a major time saver. Still have it sitting on the shelf. Might have to try a WOPL board on it.

(edited to add "through hole")

Last edited: