Rek O Kut B-16H Disassembly for resto

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
The Pickering Cart shown (Possibly a 350DS) is definitely a Mono Cartridge. I believe all of the "Fluxvalve" carts were.
New styli are available for them. The 350DS was a sought after "Hi-Fi" cart in the early 60's.
Why would a mono cart have 4 wires??

Vintage 700b

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Fabricator
Why would a mono cart have 4 wires??
I was referring to the cart on the Right in your post. 2 Wires there, Red and White. It is definitely an early 60's Pickering (most likely 350DS).
That cart although mono looks to be in great shape.
I'm not sure of the other cart in the Left side, that is a stereo cart, but not sure what that one is.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I was referring to the cart on the Right in your post. 2 Wires there, Red and White. It is definitely an early 60's Pickering (most likely 350DS).
That cart although mono looks to be in great shape.
I'm not sure of the other cart in the Left side, that is a stereo cart, but not sure what that one is.

Cool.

Vintage 700b

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Fabricator

George S.

Don't forget the fine gauge ground wire.
If you use Cardas Litz, the trick to tinning the ends is easy. Place the ends sticking straight up. Then run a solder blob from the tip, down, using gravity. Burns the insulation off and tins the leads. The trick is having the ends pointed straight up and starting the blob at the tip.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
The new motor mounts should be here in the next day or so, got the new Iwata compressor all tested so paint will go on the arm maybe tomorrow. Sent the idler wheels in for rebuild today, I used the same guy who has done my R2R rubbers over the last couple years (Gary at V-M Enthusiasts), he has great prices and turn around times but it may not be that fast this time since these are odd-balls but I have time. Waiting for the weather to warm so I can get the cabinet sanded and painted. Guess i had better get my wiring for the arm done...................

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
The new motor mounts should be here in the next day or so, got the new Iwata compressor all tested so paint will go on the arm maybe tomorrow. Sent the idler wheels in for rebuild today, I used the same guy who has done my R2R rubbers over the last couple years (Gary at V-M Enthusiasts), he has great prices and turn around times but it may not be that fast this time since these are odd-balls but I have time. Waiting for the weather to warm so I can get the cabinet sanded and painted. Guess i had better get my wiring for the arm done...................
Do you get your choice of durometers at V-M Enthusiasts?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I didn't see ANY rebuilders offering different choices Joe. As long as it doesn't slip, shouldn't really matter should it?
I don't think so Perry but I have never used guys like this. When I used to do capstans, the durometer was a critical parameter. You don't want it too soft so it compresses too much under the spring pressure. You don't want it too hard so that it transmits motor vibration into the platter. Do they do turntable idlers for a living?

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
Terry DeWitt (Terry’s Rubber Rollers) built mine from dimensions I sent him years ago. Now you can get new ones on eBay from Karmadon or the guy in Latvia, at least for the B-12s and L-34s. I couldn’t tell you the specs of the rubber though

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I don't think so Perry but I have never used guys like this. When I used to do capstans, the durometer was a critical parameter. You don't want it too soft so it compresses too much under the spring pressure. You don't want it too hard so that it transmits motor vibration into the platter. Do they do turntable idlers for a living?

Yes, they do it for a living so I would think they know what they are doing. They do them for the Reel to Reels too and I had excellent luck with them.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Terry DeWitt (Terry’s Rubber Rollers) built mine from dimensions I sent him years ago. Now you can get new ones on eBay from Karmadon or the guy in Latvia, at least for the B-12s and L-34s. I couldn’t tell you the specs of the rubber though

Nobody has the B-16H stuff. I have searched around. Even the guy from Europe didn't have the spindle for the 3 speed, 60Hz and correct shaft size.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it

This is a quick blurb from the site.

We have phono and turntable idler wheels and turrets for popular brands including Voice of Music, Admiral, BSR, Collaro, Elac, Garrard, GE, Glaser-Steers, Magnavox, Motorola, Panasonic, Philco, RCA, Telefunken, Zenith, and others.

If you are not sure what turntable idler wheel or turret you need, first click on Phono Wheel Help! for identification information and then Contact us with details. We are at your service!

Vintage 700b

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Fabricator
When I rebuilt my 1957 Thorens TD-124, I worked with a fellow in Switzerland and another in Italy to obtain parts. I did all of the precision fitting myself on the spindle bore and bearing, and new bushings. The inner plater weighs 9.5 pounds, so the fit and finish as well as lubricant had to be on the money. Diameter on the idler pully was 79mm if I recall correctly. The O.D. and durometer of the outer “tire” was very important. I lapped the bushing to fit the idler shaft. Durometer was a personal choice, provided by two military grade “O-rings”. One was Shore 50A and the other was somewhat harder at Shore 60A. I have always used the harder 60A wheel as the table comes up to speed in ½ revolution, and the eddie current brake allows an equal + and – speed adjustment. Transfer of motor/table vibration was very important going with too hard of an idler. I know there are softer “silicone” idlers out there, but saw no need to use, or even try one of them. The original wheel spec’d at Shore 67A. but it was about 59 years old when I completely rebuilt the TT. “Crusty” would describe the condition. I am very happy using the idler with the Shore 60A idler. I added new floating rubber bushings for the 10 amp motor, after I rebuilt it, and the isolation rubbers for the table to plinth level adjustment screws. No choice on durometer with these but the table is dead quiet. The SME 3009 tonearm uses small iso O-rings as well as an isolation gasket between the arm board and the plinth.

Vintage 700b

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Fabricator
Perry,
Do you have the original console cabinet for the Rek-O-Kut too? I see you mentioned painting it above. Those are really getting hard to find.
Your table is gorgeous but with the original cabinet, that really puts it over the top. Is that the "battleship gray" cabinet?