Sansui SC 5300

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
I recently sold my very minty 32 to a collector here in CT. He has a Studer 2” 24 track in his basement, up and running…

I master straight to hard disc now and it wasn’t getting any use. It went to a good home!

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Last year, I bought an Onkyo cassette deck. It came with over 100 cassettes - some pre-recorded, but a bulk of them were the seller's own recordings and a bunch of still-sealed Maxells. The original owner loved using Maxell UD-XLII 90 tapes and in the late 70's to early 80's he bought those cassettes by the carton. I now have a bunch of NOS Maxell UD-XLII 90s I have been using for recent recordings of my own.

20210530_163409.jpg
20210530_162028.jpg
20210717_165606(1) (1).jpg

Another fabulous tape is the Maxell UDS-II.

20191216_193459_zpsvsy7fvby_InPixio_zpsbsvdg6ip (1).jpg
20200111_135304_zps87fqyr6e (1).jpg

Nando.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Best.
Lunchbox.
Ever.

You can check with Scott Grammer:
scott w grammer at hotmail dot com

(no spaces)

He did my TC-D5M up including a recap and was fast and reasonable price. Bob suggested him- he's in TN.
I'll second Scott. I got to see J!m's D5 before he worked on it and before he sent it back to Connecticut. He does good work. Tell him I sent you if you talk. Another option if he's not too covered up is Nakdoc in Nashville. He's calmed down some since jettisoning the business/building.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I'll second Scott. I got to see J!m's D5 before he worked on it and before he sent it back to Connecticut. He does good work. Tell him I sent you if you talk. Another option if he's not too covered up is Nakdoc in Nashville. He's calmed down some since jettisoning the business/building.

Yeah, I haven't heard back from Scott yet. I'll give it a day or 2 and try Nakdoc

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
The Sansui should be here today, still waiting on the belts so I can change them and service/lube/fuck with the deck. I found some cassettes (NOS) that were recommended for it in the manual. Some TDK SA's, and some Maxell XL II's. The manual says they are compatible with the deck. I heard from Scott and he's a bit backed up and did say that the Sansui deck IS limited as far as adjustments so I'll use the expensive NOS tapes ($15-$25 each) but I probably wont just start recording shit. I wanted it for the system as it is vintage along with my Tuner, and my amps. Might find me another R2R.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Three strikes and YER OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Sansui cassette deck showed up, I unboxed it and WTF, the back of it has a big ol dent from the douche bag packing it really crappy. He used Pink Board insulation to the inside of the shipping box, and then threw in some crumpled up newspaper. I told the seller he was a retarded cheap fuck for not springing another $7.00 for a length of bubble wrap. So, here is this near mint deck with a big dent in it and these chumps don't move very fast getting money back to me and it willl probably take a week or three. I'll be shipping it back and I'll be on the hunt for another deck. I found a really nice Tascam 122 MK II and I can't find a MK II in primo condition. They all look like a bad stretch of road, so I'll keep looking. Damn.... I must have LOSER tattooed to my forehead.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
So now I have $300 in NOS cassettes, a Sansui SC-5330 belt kit, and a pile of scrap metal. SWEET!!!!!!!

My nutz hurt from the kickin.....................

J!m

Tagline
BOT
At least you got a deck!

I just got the kick in the nuts.

Can you locate a rear panel and swap it?

derek92994

Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
If you want unmatched fidelity and longevity on the heads, the bx300 is the goods. Crystalloy heads are hard to beat.
Edit: I say this because i dont have the money to buy exotic decks like revox, tandberg etc Not sure where they stand in terms of head sound quality