PL400 S2, or 700 S2/700B

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
I have one of the most efficient speakers out there. The K's are phenomenal..but I can and do wound drivers when I get ridiculous. Usually when I'm showing it off to someone....
I heard Lee's set up in the "chair." We didn't hurt any amps or drivers. My ears hurt for 2 days afterwards.

I've never looked at an amplifier output with a spectrum analyzer. Here is a link that kinda shows it. Harmonics analyzed.
The short summary is that a sine wave driven into hard clipping produces higher frequencies that get sent to tweeters via the corssover. The power going to the tweeters is much lower than the original signal. Even that lower level could still damage tweeters as they are not rated for high power.

From a personal perspective, I've literally melted several diaphragms on the ESS 1A's that sit idle in the living room. Ozzy was the last perpetrator. The ESS's are 2 way and as I recall cross over at 800 HZ. The JBL 4412's are much more forgiving.

Last edited:

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
Here's another thought. I sat on row 41 on the 30 yard line at Lambeau Field (Green Bay) Chistmas day. On third down, late in the game, the scoreboard showed crowd noise SPL's with occasional peaks of 110 db and was continuous above 100 db. All I could hear in my left ear was a roar not unlike jet aircraft. Of course I was there in support of the visiting team (Browns) and the audible noise only added to the overall pain.

Tagline
Born and Raised In The 700 Watt Club.
I'm betting the neighborhood goes dark when you turn the beautiful amps on. Magnificent!
I never noticed what's going on outside. Too busy blasting my ears out down in the man-cave. HOWEVER..........I have seen the lights in the house dim, and can hear the neighbors natural gas powered home generator kick on outside during turn initial on? Is that something to worry about?..........:confused3:

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
I never noticed what's going on outside. Too busy blasting my ears out down in the man-cave. HOWEVER..........I have seen the lights in the house dim, and can hear the neighbors natural gas powered home generator kick on outside during turn initial on? Is that something to worry about?..........:confused3:
I'm going to be hard pressed to believe that turning on a bunch of amps will sag the line voltage enough to cause a gen set to start. I'd expect breakers in the panel to trip first.

Turboj5525

New Around These Parts
So word on the street is you are looking for a 700B? I have a "few" of them. (see below). And that doesn't include 4 more that are out of the picture acquired since then. I have them in various states and various versions. All are clean and fully functional however.

What is your end-goal if I may ask? I usually don't acquire non-working amps. So if you plan to gut it and white oak it, I won't be of much use to you since I can't give them away for a song. But I'll send you more in a PM if your interested.

By the way, welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here. I also have been part of many forums over the years and this one without exception is the BEST and greatest one you could be on. 99% of the individuals here will NOT tear you down with their "I'm smarter than you at this" B.S. so you can feel confidant to ask ANY question without being chastised for it. (Well maybe a friendly ribbing or two) but that's it. You will LEARN a hell of a lot more here than what most schools will teach you. Right or wrong! Glad to have you aboard.

View attachment 59524
Man I have no idea how I did not see this post until tonight! So glad you Pm'd me!!!!