Mark’s CT-F850 arrived- some questions…

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Looks like you can start recording fairly soon. Are you going to wait until the TDK SA tapes arrive? Perhaps, record full albums to tape to start?

Nando.
Bias adjustment for the SA tapes show little change on the minus side, diminished highs on the plus side. The “D” tapes show a big change, work best at fully minus.

vince666

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I will not be missed! :p
@vince666 :
I’m a fact collector, a knowledge geek. The more I know, the more there is to know. Thanks for adding to my “collection.”
hey, we are on the same boat.

that "the more i know, the more there is to know" applies nicely to myself as well.

and it's maybe the best way/attitude to keep knowing more and more. (or to realize how little someone knows :eek: )

but, hey... i still didn't tell you what i use to do lately when i find heads whose inbuilt tape guides aren't well aligned to the head's gaps/tracks.... that'd be quite a bit tricky. :toothy8:

MarkWComer

Tagline
hey, we are on the same boat.

that "the more i know, the more there is to know" applies nicely to myself as well.

and it's maybe the best way/attitude to keep knowing more and more. (or to realize how little someone knows :eek: )

but, hey... i still didn't tell you what i use to do lately when i find heads whose inbuilt tape guides aren't well aligned to the head's gaps/tracks.... that'd be quite a bit tricky. :toothy8:
Heads are something I don’t wanna fiddle with, but if it involves disassembling tiny bits of metal and cussing profusely during the process, I’m in!

MarkWComer

Tagline
Had a catbud myself....yeah.....
How nice is that cat! :D
He showed up on my back porch back in April, his butt shaved and the tip of his ear clipped. Animal control does that- they trap feral male cats, neuter them, and clip their ears so they don’t trap them twice. Scared to death and very hungry, ran away from me, but I kept giving him food. Eventually he started to trust me and let me pet him. He’s a HUGE one, too! Now he’s a spoiled little beast, follows me around for a belly rub. He purrs like a Harley- Davidson V- Twin. Playful little biter, too- but the female is old and doesn’t appreciate it, so sometimes I’m his chew toy. They get on my roof at night and run around.

D7EE77D6-10C8-4151-BA16-695175BCC12C.jpeg 7F0066D7-5C5C-44C9-BA20-DA65E64CE8ED.jpeg

MarkWComer

Tagline
Bumping a very old thread here instead of starting a new one…

My CT-F850 stopped transporting tape a while back, the ebay seller said “new belts” and it does seem to be the case. Unfortunately, the idler tire between the hubs was glazed and cracked, so for most of the day today I fought with a 3mm “e” clamp during reassembly. PAIN. IN. THE. RECTUM!!! Amazing how those suckers can fly…

Joy, joy! Reassembled, tapes will now FF and REW without issue, play won’t move any tape. Frozen pinch rollers his time. A drop of acetone on the bearings freed them, but I noticed that the surface was slightly convex in shape- like an overinflated tire.

So my question of the day- does anyone know of a reliable source for pinch rollers? I’m suspicious of ebay these days.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
ESL probably has old stock but they won’t sell them. They keep a warehouse of parts for the repairs they do only.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Someone here in the states was Re-rubber if rollers etc. I think Bob Boyer may know them.

MarkWComer

Tagline
It seems like there was a German seller on eBay who had nice looking pinch rollers, with sintered bronze bearings and all....
Ball bearing pinch rollers are here: https://www.athan.com/store/c118/PIONEER.html. This is the Pioneer page, but they have them for other brands. A bit pricey- $49 for a single roller. I want to treat my baby nice, though...